The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kernal panic issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by badabing1982, Feb 19, 2011.

1. badabing1982

badabing1982 Registered

IMG_0554a.jpg Sorry if this is the wrong forum to answer this question,

but i have a persistant kernal panic issue.

which keeps happening on either saturday or sunday around 10-12am no specific cron is running at that time.

version are as follows,

centos 5.5 whm 11.28
    kernel 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5

i have attached an image of the frozen screen before rebooting which bring the server up okay.

any help would be a great help i haven't entirely ruled out hardware issues but the raid / disks seem fine at this stage. Next would be a memtest

Regards

Daniel

2. BianchiDude

BianchiDude Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Upgrade your kernel, (yum -y update) and if that doesn't fix it, replace the ram.

3. MattLee

MattLee BANNED

Hello,

It's important to note that most kernel panic issues are problems on the hardware or operating system level.

As BianchiDude said, I would recommend performing a hardware test on your server to rule out failing memory, motherboards or processors. If this test comes up negative, I'd move on to making sure that your operating system is entirely up to date using Yum.

4. badabing1982

badabing1982 Registered

Hi Gent's ,

thanks for the suggestions, i decided to minimize down time i just migrated over to a new server.
    It is still exhibiting the same issues. It two totally different servers.

one is an ibm 3550x one is a brand new dell r410 it was actually delivered with faulty ram which was replaced and then a totally fresh install of the OS was installed via net install.

So i have two servers with the same issue currently running the same version of whm and kernel which should be the latest kernel version via yum.

I know the most common cause is hardware but i find it hard to believe it could be two seperate servers causing the same issue on different hardware platforms the only commonality between the systems is kernel version and whm versions.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To take cPanel out of the equation, can you try uninstalling cPanel on the new machine or the old machine (whichever isn't being used), then see if you continue to get the kernel panics? It isn't likely to be cPanel on the machines, since we aren't seeing a slew of posts about any kernel panics occurring in the newest CentOS kernel, so I have to say it's something else causing it. Thus, take cPanel out of the equation on the box and see if you get the kernel panic within the same timeframe you had been previously.