Spiral

BANNED
Jun 24, 2005
I have a great number machines using that kernel ....

No specific problems to note here

Are you having issues there?

Maybe it would help to take a step backwards and tell
us what is going on exactly with your server before
making assumptions that it might be the kernel.

verdon

Nov 1, 2003
Northern Ontario, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
At the risk of exposing my vast ignorance, I just don't get kernel versioning. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I run one server, and although I've pretty much looked after everything on it for the last 3 years, I've always had my data centre do the occasional kernel updates. That's actually something I'd like to do, but I thought was pretty risky to do without console access if things went bad.

Anywise, I subscribe to a Linux kernel version rss feed. It says the current snapshot is 2.6.22.git5. Here I see 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp discussed as new. The kernel on my CentOS 3.8 server is 2.6.17.11-grsec-IS #1 SMP and it is at least 6-8 months old.

So, is 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp old or new? Should I be updating mine to something newer?

BamaStangGuy

Feb 15, 2007
At the risk of exposing my vast ignorance, I just don't get kernel versioning. Maybe someone can explain it to me. I run one server, and although I've pretty much looked after everything on it for the last 3 years, I've always had my data centre do the occasional kernel updates. That's actually something I'd like to do, but I thought was pretty risky to do without console access if things went bad.

Anywise, I subscribe to a Linux kernel version rss feed. It says the current snapshot is 2.6.22.git5. Here I see 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp discussed as new. The kernel on my CentOS 3.8 server is 2.6.17.11-grsec-IS #1 SMP and it is at least 6-8 months old.

So, is 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp old or new? Should I be updating mine to something newer?

It has something to do with dependices I believe with other packages on the distribution I believe. I wouldn't mind hearing a more detailed explanation myself.

katmai

Mar 13, 2006
Brno, Czech Republic
the grsec kernel is a hardened kernel. you can stick to it till you ... see issues? or till when you decide that you just want the newest and greatest kernel for fun. no need to update at that point.