The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kernel hdd error when update cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by encrypt2, Sep 30, 2004.

1. encrypt2

encrypt2 Member

I just got a dedicated server and when i tried to update cpanel from whm, in log/messages i saw:

Sep 29 04:23:05 server kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    Sep 29 04:23:05 server kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    Sep 29 04:23:06 server kernel: hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    Sep 29 04:23:06 server kernel: hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

I asked the company and they said that a 3rd level tech said that it is normal. But i still think it is something wrong with HD. Has anybody faced this situation before when trying to upgrade cpanel? (the upgrade itself was successfull)

Now i am afraid to continue with this company and I need suggestions pls. :cool:

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This may or may not apply but we had a server running software raid 1 that would ever so often kernel panic and give us the exact errors your getting. What we finally figured out was the hdd controller chip on the motherboard was overheating under high disk I/O. We had changed out all the drives mutli times , changed the motherboard , changed the processors , mutli kernel updates , changed cables , changed power supplies, and anything else that we thought might could have caused this. However the solution was to force more cooling air across the drive controller chip and the motherboard and this box has been running perfect for months now.