The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kernel Issue when upgraded

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ukhost4u, Jan 10, 2004.

1. ukhost4u

ukhost4u Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi,

I just upgraded the kernel on my systems as per the recent advise but up2date was busy so I used the manual upgrade option on the redhat web site. I installed the RPM's. Anyway, my systems are Dual Xeon's and now they only show 1 processor and are only using one processor! Is there a fix as I can't run the up2date kernel option as its already installed.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

You probably didn't install the smp kernel. You can get this from http://updates.cpanel.net/redhat/updates/ ( make sure to get the SMP version )

wget the file then rpm -ivh and edit your boot loader as usual.

If you don't understand the above, you would be best hiring someone to take care of this for you. You could render your system in operable.

3. ukhost4u

ukhost4u Active Member
    PartnerNOC

OK, i am guessing I need to use the Red Hat Lunix 9 i686 version. I understand how to download and install an rpm but what do you mean by editing the boot loader?

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

If you are running redhat 9 then yes you need the redhat kernel for that version.

If you don't know what a boot loader is, and this is a production server ( I certainly hope its not ) then I suggest not touching the kernel at all. Hire someone that can keep it up 2 date for you. Or get a local box and and practice on that untill you are comfortable. There are threads on this form regarding kernel upgrades. Do a search and follow the procedures if you must.

5. ukhost4u

ukhost4u Active Member
    PartnerNOC

I did a lot of searching and found the problem to be in the grub.conf file. It was booting the wrong kernel. I have sorted this issue now!