RobinF28

Jun 27, 2015
Elgin, Scotland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Michael,

Following on from a successful resolution to my issue (as above) with the kernel not updating following a reboot, which was fixed via my support ticket (#8865743) I have to report that the issue is back again.

I had updated (upcp) to latest version yesterday and also updated my kernel (yum kernel update) to vmlinuz-2.6.32-696.299.10.3.cp6.x86_64, and then rebooted - but kernel would not update and the "warning message" reappears advising to re-boot.

I did some research, and noticed that the link (ln -s) for menu.lst -> ./grub.conf in /boot/grub/ was gone again! So I expect the current grub.conf will always reboot as it did previously, and not update the kernel.

The image below shows the "/boot/grub directory" of the good/updating server on the left, the problem server on the right.

IMG_4579.jpg

Your colleague (support ticket, copied from .bash_history) performed the following when he last fixed the issue...

Code:
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
uname -a
ll /boot/grub/
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
mv /boot/grub/grub.conf{,.bak}
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst > /boot/grub/grub.conf
cd /boot/grub/
ll
rm menu.lst
ln -s ./grub.conf menu.lst
ll
ll /boot/
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
stat /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-696.299.3.2.cp6.x86_64
exit
So looking at this again, I'm assuming he re-made this link to correct the issue previously, which is now gone.

FYI... I have another cpanel server which is updating correctly, and this symlink is present on this server.

Can you please advise if I should open another ticket for your colleague to re-assess this problem on my server, and to see if this is a global issue/bug?

FYI...
Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/perl -e 'use Cpanel::Kernel::Status; use Data::Dumper; my $kernel = Cpanel::Kernel::Status::kernel_status(); print Dumper \$kernel;'
$VAR1 = \{
            'reboot_required' => 1,
            'running_version' => '2.6.32-696.299.3.2.cp6.x86_64',
            'has_kernelcare' => 0,
            'boot_version' => '2.6.32-696.299.10.3.cp6.x86_64'
          };
Many thanks as always, Robin.

Last edited:

RobinF28

Jun 27, 2015
Elgin, Scotland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Varioous,

I'm interested, how did you send a "hard reset" to your unresponsive server, and get it back online?
I had an issue with a test (cPanel) server recently, and I couldn't get it to reboot into any state to work on it unfortunately.
It booted in GRUB> and I was lost! :-(

Thanks, Robin.

Today i run "yum update kernel" and successfully installed the new kernel "2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64". After that i got a little bit shocked because after a Graceful Server Reboot didn't work and i couldn't reach the server. So i sent a hard reset to the server. After that the server restarted successfully ... and the message is gone also the info message in the security advisor.

So now i am running CENTOS 6.9 (kernel 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64) with whm verison 66.0.23 and everything works as expected.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Could you run the following commands and let us know the output?

Code:
cat /etc/redhat-release
cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
cat /var/cpanel/envtype
find -iname efi
rpm -qa | grep ^grub2
cat /etc/default/grub
Thank you.

RobinF28

Jun 27, 2015
Elgin, Scotland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Could you run the following commands and let us know the output?

Code:
cat /etc/redhat-release
cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
cat /var/cpanel/envtype
find -iname efi
rpm -qa | grep ^grub2
cat /etc/default/grub
Thank you.
Results...

Code:
[email protected] ~ $ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.9 (Final)

[email protected] ~ $ cat /usr/local/cpanel/version

[email protected] ~ $ cat /var/cpanel/envtype
kvm
[email protected] ~ $ find -iname efi

[email protected] ~ $ rpm -qa | grep ^grub2

[email protected] ~ $ cat /etc/default/grub
cat: /etc/default/grub: No such file or directory

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.

RobinF28

Jun 27, 2015
Elgin, Scotland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Update: Server rebooted correctly with new kernel.

Again, the following commands re-modified the /boot/grub/ missing symlink and grub.conf file, and following another reboot the server correctly booted with the new updated kernel.

I will monitor the next cPanel update and report back if the issue arises again, following another 'upcp' update.

Code:
mv /boot/grub/grub.conf{,.bak}
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst > /boot/grub/grub.conf
cd /boot/grub
/bin/rm menu.lst
ln -s ./grub.conf menu.lst
Thanks for the support again, Robin.