The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kernel Sufficient?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xxkylexx, Feb 28, 2007.

1. xxkylexx

xxkylexx Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    Just requested that my management company upgrade my kernel to the most latest, stable, and secure version.

They responded back after they had complete it and said that it was upgraded to 2.6.17.4. This is a CentOS 4.4 i686 machine.

I'm not too technical and knowledgeable about this kind of stuff (which is why I let them take care of things like this), but it seems to be that this is an old kernel? When I look at kernel.org it says the latest is 2.6.20.1.

Is this 2.6.17.4 safe and sufficient on my box?

Thanks much,
    Kyle

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Kernels provided by the OS Vendor (usually) undergo a more strenuous testing process than the kernels on kernel.org

In fact, the official stance of the Linux Kernel Devellopment Team is end users should be using the Vendor supplied kernels.

The kernel in CentOS is provided by RedHat (CentOS simply beng a re-branding of RedHat Enterprise Linux). It has undergone and passed certain tests, thus is deemed stable by the RedHat QA process.

3. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

Did they add any patch to the kernel like grsecurity? If so then you can't use the latest release provided on kernel.org, only what the patch is built for (19.2) last time I checked.

This does seem a bit older, have you tried asking them?