The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kernel updates are not supported

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nirjonadda, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Nirjonadda

Nirjonadda Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    cPanel Security Advisor are not supported Kernel updates? I am getting Kernel updates are not supported on this virtualization platform. Be sure to keep the host’s kernel up to date.

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    On that virtualization platform, looks like thay are not.
    Virtualization is tricky, you're likely going to have to update the kernel on any VPS manually anyways

3. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think what that message is telling you is that your virtualization platform does not automatically update your kernel, and that you should periodically check the kernel version yourself and update it as necessary.

It is not a particularly clear (to me at least) if the message is refers to the kernel of the underlying host virtual machine, or to your guest virtual machine.

I guess you should check everything and poke your host virtual machine provider if you feel their kernel/software is unreasonably out of date - and update your own stuff as necessary :confused:

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The message is by design, and indicates Security Advisor determined the specific virtualization software in-use does not support the ability for you to update the kernel on your own. You can consult with your VPS hosting provider to ensure they are using an updated kernel.

Thank you.