The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kernel updates

Discussion in 'Security' started by paulg, Dec 6, 2010.

1. paulg

paulg Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,
    I'm a relatively new cPanel admin so please forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times. I didn't easily find the answer to I'm asking now.

I understand that the default is automatic updates of cP/WHM as well as system packages, but that the default settings do not update the kernel. Is there a good way to have cP automatically stay current including the kernel? I know that updating the kernel would require a reboot but it would be nice if that was an option. Given the recent kernel exploits, I would like to be able to automatically stay completely up to date.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

2. javiercampos

javiercampos Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Hello,
    I think it's complicated the issue of updating the kernel without rebooting.
    But there is a tool:

Never Reboot Linux for Linux Security Updates | Ksplice

If other please consult your apology.

3. paulg

paulg Member
    PartnerNOC

Thank you for the reply, javiercampos. I am familiar with Ksplice as I use it on many of my servers. I was hoping for an alternative solution as I would like to not have to purchase a Ksplice license for every virtualized/VPS/cloud instance.

Any cPanel-provided solution?

Paul

4. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

Auto updating kernal, Now thats a risk I would not take ! :eek:

5. Davetha

Davetha Member
    PartnerNOC

Uptrack is what you pay for. You can actually download and use ksplice for free if you want to keep care of your own rebootless patches.

If you are using CentOS, yum should be updating your kernel automatically, but it requires a reboot. If you want to reboot your system a lot faster, you could use kexec so your system doesn't have to go through POST which can be time consuming, especially on servers.