The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kernel Upgrade - Within WHM or Without?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by _jman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. _jman

_jman Member

Have a xen-based VPS on centOS, kernel version is 2.6.18.8; been thinking it's time to upgrade the kernel.

From within a shell session, kernel upgrade is straightforward - yum upgrade kernel-smp (the box has 4 CPU's).

However, my host also offers upgrading the kernel from their own dashboard, so possible to do it without yum from the shell.

Which one do you choose? I'd hate to break anything inside the box by letting the host do it automatically, but on the other hand yum isn't intrinsically tied to WHM/cPanel, so am thinking it's just two ways to get the same thing done, i.e., "yum upgrade kernel" isn't going to magically make WHM potentially upgrade a bunch of other stuff to keep all the apps happy on the newer kernel version.

Thoughts?

2. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First of all I would suggest you not to perform yum upgrade kernel. If something goes wrong you won't be able to switch to the old kernel. Install a separate kernel and try switching to it. If server refuses to boot to this new kernel you can always switch to your old kernel.

Thanks.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Most people have /etc/grub.conf that will allow switching to an older kernel since older kernels are already in the file, while using "yum upgrade" normally updates the kernel as well if kernel isn't excluded in /etc/yum.conf file already. There is little reason not to use "yum upgrade" to update the kernel provided you do have /etc/grub.conf listing various kernels to utilize.