jazee

Jan 12, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm wondering if anyone who is using KernelCare can comment on their experience?

Specifically, I'm wondering what are the main benefits other than less server reboots?

I know it's not expensive and would be nice to not have to keep manually rebooting WHM applied updates but does it really eliminate the need for all reboots after update?

Are there any potential drawbacks?

It's not terribly cumbersome to reboot the server once in a while so mainly I just want to make sure there's some real benefit and no potential for downside by introducing additional complexity to the server config just to save a few minutes of admin work.

vacancy

Sep 20, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Kernelcare has two advantages.

1. Automatically performs kernel updates.
2. Instant implementation of kernel updates.

It may not be necessary for an individual server with your own sites, but the uptime guarantee for a server where a large number of web sites are running and automatic updating of the kernel is an important issue.

sparek-3

Aug 10, 2002
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The disadvantages is that it can take a while for the Kernelcare people to implement upstream changes. A new CentOS 7 kernel may go 2 or 3 weeks before Kernelcare issues an updated in-line kernel.

The other disadvantage is the cost. Which as you say, isn't a lot, but if you've got 40 or 50 servers it can quickly add up.

A quick kexec reboot into a new kernel can accomplish much the same thing with just a small amount of downtime.

This not meant to sway you against Kernelcare, but you did ask for pros and cons.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Things to keep in mind, having implemented kernelcare eliminates the need to reboot to install a kernel update (which is a pro) but it does not eliminate the need to reboot, sometimes it will be necessary.

The biggest con or concern we get is the delay between the release of the new kernel and the patch from kernelcare - though other live patching softwares also have a delay, it requires extensive knowledge to patch a kernel like this so it's not completely unexpected.