SOLVED Kill/stop all processes from cpanel (shared hosting)

ishtiak

Registered
Mar 2, 2021
Bangladesh
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi,

A few days ago I installed a blank Nodejs app in my cPanel (shared hosting). That caused a rise in the "Processes" to 80/100. I immediately destroyed the app, but the processes are not decreased. It's now stable at 78/100. Before the incident, I barely saw 1-2 processes running.

I contacted my hosting provider, but they cannot kill the processes as described here and are requesting me to reset the whole cPanel (which is impossible for me).

I have already tried switching to different PHP versions so that previous PHP processes are stopped. But it's not working, I do not have any WHM or SSH access.
Any help on how to kill processes from the cPanel would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! it seems like you do not have root access to the server since you mention this is shared hosting. If that is the case, there is no reason your hosting provider wouldn't be able to kill those processes manually on the command line if they aren't able to do that through the WHM interface. Do they get an error while trying to kill those processes?

Reactions: ishtiak

ishtiak

Registered
Mar 2, 2021
Bangladesh
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey there! it seems like you do not have root access to the server since you mention this is shared hosting. If that is the case, there is no reason your hosting provider wouldn't be able to kill those processes manually on the command line if they aren't able to do that through the WHM interface. Do they get an error while trying to kill those processes?

Yes, I don't have any root/command-line access. I asked my hosting provider for that, but they first told me to reset my cPanel account. They thought the processes rise would again. After requesting again, they killed all the processes for my account.

I think there should be a way in cPanel using which any end-user can kill the processes.

Thank you for your reply.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If the processes were owned by the cPanel user, you can kill them if you have SSH access.

If you see this happen again please let us know, but our recommendations are going to be very limited since you don't have root access.

If you'd like to see an interface in cPanel similar to the one in WHM to kill the processes, that would be a great feature request to submit using the link in my signature.

Reactions: ishtiak

ishtiak

Registered
Mar 2, 2021
Bangladesh
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
If the processes were owned by the cPanel user, you can kill them if you have SSH access.

If you see this happen again please let us know, but our recommendations are going to be very limited since you don't have root access.

If you'd like to see an interface in cPanel similar to the one in WHM to kill the processes, that would be a great feature request to submit using the link in my signature.
It'd be a nice feature. If there are such options, general customers like me won't need to wait for hosting provider actions.

Thank you for your replies. Please mark this post as solved (Sorry I did not find any option)

Thank you.