The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knackered DNS only install and UDP fun!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bignose, Oct 23, 2008.

1. bignose

bignose Active Member

Jan 3, 2007

I have dns-only installed on a Centos Box, it went kinda nuts a while back when the cpanel folks were having some deadlock issues with the DNS clustering tools. Hasn't been the same since. My named.conf file got horrendously corrupted and it's been alot of fun.

Well now the system "kinda" works. However here are issues I'm having.

1: I just did a sync all local, and with that my internal/external views should have around 700 or so zones, but my named.conf only has about 25. In fact I just did an md5sum of named.conf before and after the sync and the md5 is unchanged.
    2: It would seem that the server is not replying on UDP. If I do a dig with TCP i get a response. Likewise if I run tcp dump on port 53 and do a request via UDP, I can see it gets thru, but it is never responded to. Ie:

Will probably time out if someone tries it.

Suggestions? I'm not against an operation that will hose/rebuild my named stuff, but I want to avoid reinstalling the machine as its doing some other low level stuff outside of cpanels world.[Just allowing scp of some data]