The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsteel, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice that there haven't been any RELEASE updates in about 2 months. The changelog shows we are now at v9.7.2 build 21, yet the last RELEASE version is still 9.4.1 build 64. That's a significant gap in revisions for there not be any RELEASE updates (and it looks like there've been lots of bug fixes in the last 2 months that should have certainly been rolled out into a RELEASE). Though I don't know why, I continue to be astonished by the cPanel team's complete lack of fundamental software development lifecycles (the idea of 4 branches that for all intents and purposes act independently with bug fixes not immediately backported into each branch - absolutely horrific). :eek:

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

The 4 headed approach does not make a lot of sense to me either. I would think at most they could get away with 3; Development / Release Candidate / Stable.

The current release /stable status makes sense to me though. Their was a release 'candidate' (build 64) that was followed by a stable release (build 65). The other builds have obviously been too buggy to consider issuing as stable releases.

3. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

That's my point though. They push new code in with bug fixes to EDGE but don't roll just the bug fixes down separately. It goes completely against basic software engineering principles. Just like when there is a major bug and they tell everyone to down EDGE because it is fixed there first, yet they also have a bunch of untested additions in that same EDGE release thjat could break even more things - that's not the way you release bug fixes. I'm tempted to buy the cPanel team an Amazon certificate and tell them to buy a good book on SDLC and study it in depth. cPanel/WHM will never become a respected mainstream software application until they start taking the development approach seriously.