The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large account backup issue

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by mindnetcombr, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mindnetcombr

mindnetcombr Member

Hello,

This is the problem:

I have one VPS with 80Gb of diskspace, and one single account with 35Gb of data (files, emails, databases etc).

Cpanel and others resources use more 10Gb, so the scenario is:

- 35Gb - used by one site
    - 10Gb - user by OS and CPANEL
    = 35Gb - FREE DISK SPACE

However CPANEL cant do the backup, because backup routine need to copy the entire account to a temporary place, then compress this copy - in this case only the temporary copy use 35Gb and server run out of disk space.

For a the single 35Gb account, I need something like 50Gb or more of disk space (necessary to hold a temporary copy and the compressed backup).

My customer dont understand this, how explain he need a VPS with 100Gb of disk space to have a account with 35Gb ?

Any solution for this?

Thank.

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't think cpbackup is the right way to do this backup. Every time you do a backup, cpbackup packages the whole account into one big tarball, which is hard to manage - hard to copy, hard to transfer, hard to recover from.

This isn't cpanel's fault - under any normal circumstances, and probably most imaginable circumstances, you'd never have a 35Gb hosting account! So I don't think cpanel could reasonably be expected to make changes to accomodate your very unusual situation out of the box.

However, cpanel actually will do what you want with a little thought.

You would probably be better off combining a cpbackup of the config part of the account with an rsync backup of the large file component.

So, use the cpanel backup exclude feature to exclude the large files from the backup. This will bring the backup back into a manageable size, and you can then have the ability to restore config info from it if needed.

Then, add in an rsync via crontab to copy the large files to backup periodically. This will be very fast. You can use various tricks to get a backup history, if that would ever be relevant, or just dump all files across to the backup filesystem.

3. mindnetcombr

mindnetcombr Member

Yes, I know about this. This why a 35Gb account require 50Gb or more to backup.

I dont know about your accounts, but 35Gb is a average usage of my customers in VPS and dedicated servers, not in shared servers. I have customers with 80Gb and 120Gb accounts, large projects, videos, music and much more. For luck these large accounts run at dedicated servers with a spare HDD backup with a lot of space.

And yes I think cpanel can improve the backup routine for large accounts OR they should warning users about limits to backup and space requirements for backup routine.

I cant exclude anything from my users backup. In this case of this VPS, from 35Gb of data, 32Gb are used by emails - my customer have more than 600 emails accounts and store everything on server. I cant exclude emails from backup.

Thank for your answer, I really dont expect cpanel team work on this, and modify the cpbackup script to something more flexible and smart.

4. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't think BrianOZ was saying to NOT backup the account.
    The idea is that for large accounts, cpbackup is not good. So you exclude it from cpbackup.

Then, you use rsync to backup the large accounts.

Think of cpbackup as a grab and run package. Everything is thrown into one file.
    Rsync is more like having a mirror of all of your data.