The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large e-mails stuck in send loop

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Michal Pandyra, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Michal Pandyra

Michal Pandyra Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good morning,

I have been contacted by one of our clients with an odd issue that I suspect may be client-side, but I want to make sure I haven't missed anything on the server side before responding.

It appears that any e-mail over 10MB in size is being continually resent. No errors or failures reported in the logs. I simply see a long list of successful deliveries, each with its own unique message ID.

This has happened to two separate users, both under the same cPanel account. Both local and remote delivery are affected. I've also tested myself and have been unable to reproduce the behavior and no other client accounts have reported issues, which is what leads me to believe it's a client issue.

Could it be that the client isn't receiving some kind of affirmative response from the server after dispatching the outgoing mail? Perhaps it's just sitting in the Outbox and constantly being resent at regular intervals? That would explain the almost exact 2 minute gap between messages.Mailer agent header reads "Microsoft Office Outlook 12.0" so it's nothing uncommon.

I'm hoping someone here has any insight, thanks in advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Do you notice anything out of the ordinary for these messages in /var/log/exim_mainlog? I agree that it seems like an issue with the email client. Could you have the user attempt to send an email with another email client to verify if that's the case?

Thank you.

3. Michal Pandyra

Michal Pandyra Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Michael,

Thanks for the response. Nothing out of the ordinary in the mainlog. All of the entries are along the following lines:

Code:
    2016-04-27 14:45:03 1avXGW-0007hi-Af H=sender-isp.hostname.net [12.34.56.78]:48065 Warning: Message has been scanned: no virus or other other harmful content was found
    2016-04-27 14:45:03 1avXGW-0007hi-Af <= sender@domain.com H=sender-isp.hostname.net [12.34.56.78]:48065 P=esmtp S=11504957 id=011e01d1a0cd$a54bc080$efe34180$@com for recipient@domain.com
    2016-04-27 14:45:03 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1avXGW-0007hi-Af
    2016-04-27 14:45:03 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bpu
    2016-04-27 14:45:03 1avXGW-0007hi-Af => recipient <recipient@domain.com> R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery
    2016-04-27 14:45:03 1avXGW-0007hi-Af Completed
    Just a bunch of those (different timestamps, message ID's etc.) over and over again, every two minutes. In this case it's local delivery from one user to another in the same cPanel account. We're running ClamAV which is where I'm assuming the "Warning" in the first line comes from.

I'm currently troubleshooting with them under the assumption that it's local. I will have them shut down the mail client and see if it breaks the chain or stops sending for a period of time.