The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large Horde tmp directory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sneader, Jul 10, 2010.

1. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm doing some disk space cleanup and noticed that /var/cpanel/horde/tmp has over 1,100 files, taking over 1.5GB of disk space. The files dates are from Dec 2008 to today, and all the file names start with "impatt" then 6 random chars.

Are some/all of these safe to delete?

- Scott

2. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,

Since that is a temporary directory for Horde, it should be cleaning those up. Which version of cPanel are you running on the machine?

Here's a forum discussion on that directory and how it not clearing out could cause issues:

Forum Discussion

It's in Spanish, so I had to run it through the Google translator, but the discussion indicates how it could cause an issue with logging into Horde (not just disk space usage) if those temporary files aren't being cleared. That thread then links back to this forum for a prior discussion when there was a bug in Horde for that issue. This should have been resolved 2 years ago in Horde, so that's why I'm wondering what cPanel version your machine is running.

#2 Miraenda, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I opened a ticket with cPanel to see if they agreed it was safe to delete these files, and they said it was. I tried to get an understanding of why this server is collecting these files, or if it was normal, but was not able to get that nailed down. For now, I removed all the files older than 3 days, and will keep an eye on it.

- Scott

4. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel techs say:

and...

So... the moral of the story?

It seems trivial to create a cron to stop Horde from collecting large amounts of files in its tmp directory. However, since Horde is packaged with cPanel, that cPanel would have handled this for us somehow. Anyway, now I know that it's pretty safe to remove these files and that it's fairly normal, and a cron could be implemented if necessary... I guess I'm good for now!

Hope this helps someone else down the road with the same problem.

- Scott

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the information, Scott. I'll pass this info along to our devs.