Large Number of Failed Logins

chasmcg

Mar 20, 2005
In the last 24 hours I have had over 120 of these messages from CPanel (large number of failed logins). Mainly from Russia and China but from other countries as well. I suspect it's someone spoofing IPs. I get these messages all the time but nothing like the last 24 hours.

Does "cPHulk Brute Force Protection" ban those IPs each time they send me an email? I hope so. I have manually banned blocks of IPs but they just keep coming. What can be done about this? Thanks for any help or advice.

chasmcg

Mar 20, 2005
Hello,

Are these attempting to connect to your SSH service ? if so, Changing the default port number would be a very good option here.
Yes, the port number has been changed. But the attempts keeps coming. I have about 5 domains on my server. They're trying to FTP in as well on all domains. Thanks for your reply.

quizknows

Oct 20, 2009
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
cHHulk only "protects" cPanel services. I would recommend CSF/LFD for automated blocking of IP addresses with excessive failed logins.

chasmcg

Mar 20, 2005
Thanks, guys, for the replies. I'm currently using APF as my firewall. Will look at CSF/LFD as an alternative. Also, if CPanel implements something to block IPs as they come in that would be great. Maybe block countries, even.

The failed logins stopped for a day or so but they've started again.