Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last Login IP From

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by James Hall, Aug 11, 2017.

1. James Hall

James Hall Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Everyone :)

I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this IP address [Removed] under "last login" when you login to cPanel? It is not my IP, has never been my IP, and it won't update or change for the last month or two. Out of 9 separate hosting accounts (unrelated logins and IP's) 3 of them are showing this as the last IP logged in.

I can logout and back in quickly and the IP address still shows the last login was [Removed]?

Thanks,
    Jim

Attached Files:

#1 James Hall, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Jim,

The IP address that appears for "Last Login" is not the currently-authenticated IP address. For example, if you log in via the 10.1.1.1 IP address, and then log in multiple times via the 10.2.2.2 IP address, the interface will display 10.1.1.1 as the Last Login IP address. It will not display 10.2.2.2 as the Last Login IP address until you log in via a different IP address.

As far as the source of that IP address, you may want to contact your provider to see if this is an IP address used by their support team.

Thank you.

3. James Hall

James Hall Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

It used to display my IP address for years. I've never had that IP address and since it is happening on 3 UNRELATED different hosting accounts that have totally unique usernames and 12 character passwords, I think something else is at play.

How can it show an IP address as the "last login" unless they logged in from that IP address?

Since my servers have brute force protection enabled (5 failures and a 30 wait) and I use firewall plugins on my sites I find this very strange. The IP has been reported as a possible source of SQL injection here: [Removed - No need to post the actual IP address here]

Jim

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Jim,

It doesn't mean the IP address in-question didn't access cPanel. That is in-fact something you should investigate to determine if the accounts were accessed by an unauthorized user. I was answering your question about why the "Last Login" IP address did not change after you logged out and then logged in again. That's normal behavior, and described in more detail on the following post:

cPanel Control Panel "Last Login" clarification

As far as the offending IP address itself, you may want to review /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log to get a better idea of when that IP addressed accessed cPanel and what actions it performed.

Thank you.