The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late server response time for my site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xioplox, Oct 17, 2009.

1. xioplox

xioplox Member

I have been experiencing late server response time for my only site on my VPS server for half a month now. It can take up to 1 minute before the site starts to load in my browsers, even though it is cached in the browser. This happens many times a day, but at other times the response and site load is just normal and can even load in an instant. I have no similar problems with other sites.

The server load seems just to be normal when this happens and the memory use too and no guest activity on the site which is the only site on the VPS server.

What I did before this happened was to upgrade the system and server in WHM. Few days later I did some changes in the folder for my site, changing folder and file permission and renaming the folder the site rests in which is a forum. No changes to the root directory for the site domain was done.

After that or day or two, the late server response time started.

I have upgraded the system and server again, and cPanel and recompiled Apache. I have been in contact with my host and forum software company this week and the forum software company technicians have been diagnosing the problem in the forum admin control panel and have accessed cPanel for the site.

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Do you know the ratio your host maintains of VPS servers on physical server hardware?

VPS servers, not to be confused with Cloud or Cloud VPS servers, are virtual machines setup and allocated out of the resources of a single physical hardware machine and like shared hosting, you may have multiple VPS servers running on the same physical machine for different clients and each of those share memory, processor (cpu), and network resources and those resources are very finite and limited.

The more VPS servers the hosts puts on the machine, the more heavily loaded and the much slower the resources are going to be. When bursting is enabled (allowing the use of unused resources), spikes in activity can also further cause waits and slow downs for the remaining VPS clients.

I personally hate and despise traditional VPS servers for those and a host of other technical reasons well beyond the scope of this discussion.

Anyway, the point I am making is that it may have absolutely nothing to do with your Cpanel or your forum software. It's probably your VPS!

Now with that said, Cpanel is generally a bad choice for the vast majority of VPS servers out there because most don't have enough memory. While Cpanel can technically run in as little as "256MB" of memory, that is just barely so, stripped down, and not very reliable. Really you need an absolute minimum of 512K though I recommend 768K as the base minimum and 1 GB minimum is preferred. Unfortunately the guaranteed memory limits of the majority of VPS servers out there does not meet these minimum limits so you end up with unstable, flaky, and many times often crashing servers and that is totally independent of the fact that your server itself may also have resource issues.

3. xioplox

xioplox Member

Thank you for your reply and help Spiral,

the physical server itself seems to have about 8100MB RAM and I'm guaranteed 768MB and 4096MB burstable.

The response time the last days has been much better and the site can load instantly at times when I first request it.

But it can take about 5 seconds or longer to get response. For few minutes ago the response was about 10 seconds before the site started to load. At that time the memory usage was 75% on my VPS server and the server load about 1.0 (2xQuad cores).