Latest visitors: Sort by IP (or is it Hostname ?)

cyberdyne

Jun 23, 2011
I am finding that for the last week or so cPanel 11.30 is recording Latest Visitors 'IP' by Hostname by default as opposed to numerical IP. Is there a reason for this and can it be changed locally back to IP address only please?

Using IP addresses is much easier to copy and paste into IP analysis software/websites than fiddling with Hostnames.

Or can we at least maybe be given the option in the settings (cog icon) to choose either IP or Hostname?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cyberdyne

Jun 23, 2011
Hi,
Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. Clicking 'IP' will indeed sort by IP/Hostname but I will then of course loose any sort by 'Time' order I have.

What I mean is, the 'IP' column is saving visitor Hostnames data as opposed to IP addresses whereas it used to save only IP addresses approximately two weeks ago. Has this been changed purposely?

Many thanks

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter

cyberdyne

Jun 23, 2011
I did a search before posting. What I found was that the majority of recent posts regarding 'Latest Visitors' were regarding the 'sort by' issues. I'm wondering if/why IP addresses are now showing as Hostnames.

Yes, I do have the link to use the legacy version, but don't really wish to.

Thanks again for your reply.

cyberdyne

Jun 23, 2011
Ok many thanks. I'll wait for a reply here though as I'm an end user not a license holder.

Cheers for your help.

cyberdyne

Jun 23, 2011
Yes. They said it was part of the latest cPanel update and that I'd have to wait until the next update to get it fixed. However, I wasn't confident with their answer so though I'd ask here to be sure.

cPanelTristan

Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
somewhere over the rainbow
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am seeing IPs in cPanel > Latest Visitors area rather than seeing hostnames. Which cPanel version are you using exactly? Mine is 11.30.0.32. You should be able to see your version in cPanel home area under Stats section when you click "expand stats" link. It would have something like:

cPanel Version 11.30.0 (build 32)

cPanelTristan

Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Your host should open up a ticket with us if they haven't done so about the issue. There were no cases I could find about this happening in a search of our internal case reporting system.

cyberdyne

Jun 23, 2011
I have raised this issue with my host and they seem reluctant to acknowledge that it is an issue. Seems I may be wasting my time with them to be honest. Their latest reply was:
To my understanding (and I am starting to get a little out of my depth here) if an IP has had a label attached to it, ie building name, company etc, then this will be returned with the reverse dns lookup although how cPanel use this tool I cannot comment on.
Have a look here for a little more info Reverse DNS lookup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've tried to stress that this behavior seems to be a problem with their setup but they seem to think it is normal.

cPanelTristan

Staff member
Oct 2, 2010
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There is nothing we can do if they do not open up a ticket with us. This is not the default behavior. Here is a screen shot from my Latest Visitors area on my test machine attached. The IP shown has reverse DNS entries but the IP is listed rather than the hostname:

Screen shot 2011-07-05 at 1.24.20 PM.png

Code:
[email protected] [~]# dig -x 67.195.112.232 +short
b3091092.crawl.yahoo.net.
The dig on the IP above shows it does have a PTR (rDNS) record. Again, the IP appears rather than the hostname in my screen shot, though.

Certainly, feel free to provide this post and screen shot to your provider as evidence that their setup differs.