The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leechprotect bogging down MySQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptainHarlock, Sep 27, 2010.

1. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Registered

Sep 27, 2010
    For the past few days, it appears that leechprotect has been bogging down MySQL, pages accessing MySQL databases can take 20 - 30 seconds to load. Here is a recent MySQL process list:

4009 leechprotect localhost leechprotect Sleep 24029 NULL
    5852 eximstats localhost eximstats Sleep 13 NULL
    5869 root localhost NULL Query 0 NULL SHOW PROCESSLIST

It's not actually taking up CPU cycles or a lot of RAM, but it's doing something and looking at the process list, seems like the likely culprit.

There have been a few previous discussions about this problem with no substantive talk about the actual cause or a good solution, short of attempting to disable it, which you have to do unofficially, there is ostensibly no way to completely turn it off through the Cpanel interface. (see: )

Leechprotect ostensibly prevents users from posting names and PWs in plaintext in certain directories, and also prevents multiple login attempts. If it is actually doing something, like preventing a bruteforce or DDOS, then disabling it seems like an unsafe thing. On the other hand, all of my customers' web apps and webmail are dog slow at the moment due to the MySQL slowdown.

If all else fails I will try to disable it per the instructions in the above link.

Please advise.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please consider submitting a support request so that we may assist with investigation

Based on the provided output it would appear the MySQL process involving leechprotect is in a "Sleep" state and may not be actively running; however, without direct access I could only speculate as to what may be the root cause of the problem.

Please submit a support request so that we may inspect the precise circumstances involved and assist with further, in-depth investigation. Direct access to the affected system is necessary in order to accurately diagnose the issue affecting the cPanel MySQL databases page. When available, please to let me know the ticket ID number of your new support request so that we may follow-up internally; you are welcome to send me a private message (PM) with the ticket ID number.