The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leftover cPanel databases blocking WHM transfer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ca3le, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ca3le

ca3le Registered

In my cPanel there are several databases that no longer exist, they read 0.00MB. I'm trying to transfer to a new server with WHM and it gives me an error because those are there (says they don't exsist, I deleted them long ago but for some reason cPanel still lists them. Maybe because I didn't delete the databases through cPanel, I dunno). I try to delete them and cPanel hangs, I deletes it eventually but it hangs. Then I can't access the databases through cPanel for hours.

I've updated cPanel WHM, updated perl... all the server software is updated.

I'm root, can someone maybe point me to a config file or something were this information is being stored so I can remove it by hand. Or help me in some way.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I really need to get this transfer done quickly, my traffic is spiking HARD... I really need to hurry and get this extra power online. But it's kinda hard to accomplish anything when you have to wait hours between deleting a single database... I got like 10 of those in there, and I'm just sitting here watching my server load over loading... I got this brand new awesome server but my hands are tied waiting...:eek: there has to be a better solution. So I look to the cPanel community.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the databases no longer exist in MySQL, you can delete them from cPanel by editing the .yaml file for the cPanel user in /var/cpanel/databases. Edit the .yaml file and move the .cache file to another location, and then run the following command to update the cache:

Code:
    # /scripts/update_db_cache

3. ca3le

ca3le Registered

Thank you for the quick response. You rock.

I edited the .yaml and moved the .cache for the domain name and am running update_db_cache... been doing that for a few minutes. I have a lot of large databases so I'm sure that has something to do with it. How long does that normally take? I thought I've ran that in the past and it didn't take this long...

4. ca3le

ca3le Registered

It finished... and worked. Thank you. I may have to wait till off peak to do the transfer. Do you have any suggestions to run the transfer process without locking up large databases and run it with the less resources needed from the host server. I just transfered only an account that I use for my forum database and it caused my server load to spiral out of control... got to a load over 50. And if it had that much problem with that one it's going to probably take my site down for hours once I try to do my main account. I have VERY massive databases, with 10's and 100's of thousands of tables... I have to optimize my commands when doing backups. Just wondering if there were options I could do to transfer this without effecting my users. For instance, when I do backups of some of the larger databases I have to use... "mysqldump -u mysql_user -p --single-transaction --quick --lock-tables=false db_name | gzip > output.gz" ...... or is it that in my situation I should export and do the databases by hand?

thanks!