The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legacy File Manager Gone?

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by DeannaG, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DeannaG

DeannaG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This last update I noticed my Legacy File Manager is missing, forcing me to use the other file manager. I don't like the other file manager and never use it. It's not as user friendly and lacks features I use extensively.

LMF does everything I need and more, and it's simple and to the point. It gets the job done and does it well. Something doesn't need to be overly fancy or pretty to work well.

An example of something LMF does for me is say I click on a file name, like an image. On the right a list of nice, useful links appear, including a direct link to the file. If I need to post the file, like a message board, all I have to do is right click the link and choose Copy link location, then paste it to the board. This is very useful and convenient when trying to do things like tutorials, which is what I'm in the middle of right now. This feature alone makes it worth more to me than the other file manager. Which by the way, doesn't provide such links.

I honestly don't understand why you would dump LMF. Everyone I know uses it. Most of them exclusively.

The other file manager may be prettier, but it doesn't mean it gets the job done better. Losing LFM has made my task all the more difficult. Now I have to manually type the links into the posts for the help graphics. This eats up time and is really annoying, especially for someone with arthritis, and especially considering how much easier and faster it all was before LFM disappeared.

My CPanel styles are all set to Retro, but I've check all provided styles and LFM doesn't show up on any of them. I've been a CPanel user for years, and quality of product is why I've been a user for so many years. LFM is a BIG part of that history and loyalty.

Please give Legacy File Manager back! Please!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @DeannaG,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about the product.

Legacy File Manager is no longer offered as a feature in cPanel (it was previously available as part of the X3 theme, but the X3 theme is no longer supported). We don't plan on including Legacy File Manager with the Paper Lantern theme, however we are happy to consider your feedback about new features or functionality you'd like to see added to File Manager. I encourage you to open a feature request for the specific feature you'd like to see added (E.g. the ability to see the URL to a file) via the following URL:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

3. DeannaG

DeannaG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could LFM possibly be turned int a plugin or something like that those who like it and want it could add it themselves?

I honestly think it's much better the one we're having to use now.

I'll go to the Submit Feature Request for the current file manager, but the URL feature isn't the only that is better. This file manager may be prettier, but by comparison, it's somewhat clunky compared to LFM.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @DeannaG,

Unfortunately, we have no plans of bringing back the Legacy File Manager in any form. The best approach going forward is to open separate feature requests for each specific improvement you'd like to see made in File Manager. Feel free to post the links to the feature requests to this thread once they are submitted and approved so that anyone finding this thread with a similar concern can see and vote for them.

Thank you.

5. DeannaG

DeannaG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do I have to register separately to submit a feature request? It gave me a login box and then told me my information wasn't valid.
    Shouldn't all this be integrated? If I have to register to submit a feature request there, why isn't there a register link somewhere? My email and my password are valid. They work fine here. This is the first time I've had to come to the forums for an issue in 13 yrs, and I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with it. :(

This is what I tried to post for a feature request:
    Legacy File Manager has been removed. The file manager we're stuck with lacks features some of us used extensively in LFM. This current one is also clunkier and slower. LFM was smoother to use. One feature it lacks, I and many I know use often, is the ability to see a file's url for copy and paste purposes. This is very useful for a variety of reasons. If we can't have our LFM back, not even as a plugin we could add ourselves, then we'd like to see the ability to see and copy the file's url for pasting added to the current file manager. For someone like myself, with arthritis, being able to copy and paste the file's url for posting, inclusion in a web page, or other things is very helpful. Please either add it into the file manager or find a way to give us back our LFM. Personally, I hate this current file manager.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm sorry to see you are having a difficult time getting signed up to the feature request website.

There's currently no single-sign on functionality that allows you to use the same credentials for the Forums and Feature Request website. We're working towards implementing a solution for that in the future. In the meantime, you can click on the "Register" link on the following URL to setup a new account on the feature request website:

Login - cPanel Feature Requests Help Desk

Could you let me know if that works?

Thank you.

7. DeannaG

DeannaG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I did the registration and I'm waiting for the password to show up in my inbox.

Thank you for your time and help.

I'll let you know if I have any other problems.

8. DeannaG

DeannaG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just got the password and tried to use it. It told me my session had expired and now it's telling me my information is invalid again.

I'm trying the password recovery to see if I can get it to reset.

9. DeannaG

DeannaG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Apparently by the time the temp password arrived it was expired, but the reset password seems to have worked. I'm waiting to see if my request shows up on the list somewhere.

Thank you again for all your help.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm glad to see you were able to setup the account. Note that feature requests can sometimes take a day or two before they are approved and visible to the public.

Thank you.

11. DeannaG

DeannaG Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for all your time and all your help Michael. You take care.

cPanelMichael likes this.