The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's kill spam - feature suggestion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mpope2, Oct 25, 2002.

1. mpope2

mpope2 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a feature suggestion that I am sure many people using CPanel would love to have. This is an 'email throttle' feature that would allow us to define the number of emails allowed to be sent for each user on a daily basis.

So, for example, if you set the value at 500 , then exim would count each email sent for every user/domain and would disallow sending after this number reached 500 for the day.

I just had a user send 30,000 emails last night at 2:00am on an account they just signed up for. There really is not much I could have done to stop them, whereas if they had a limit of 500 emails/day, the damage would have been much less.

Please let me know what you guys think about this idea and maybe I'll submit a feature request.

2. MikeMc

MikeMc Well-Known Member

it's a really nice idea and useful, although I would suggest that when someone sends 500 emails in a period less than x minutes (for example 10minutes) to block him for the next hour...time necessary and enough I think, for the admin to check the logs.

If possible an email also to be send to the the administrator.
    Something like that would be cool.

3. mpope2

mpope2 Well-Known Member

I'd love to get other people's suggestions on this. It is obviously very capable of happening, as CPanel does have email stats generation. An hourly (or every 10 minutes) check for emails would be nice, but that still leaves you open for a full hour or 10mins or whatever of spamming from your users.

I would rather have something that tracks emails sent in real time so that the second a user gets to 500 emails they are blocked. Spammers can send tons of emails in ten minutes, so the checking will have to be more frequent.

4. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

my buddy made the exact script for us, it sorta &replaces& the path to sendmail, then gets sent to exim

bascially it works off perl and mysql, and allows only XX emails in XXX minutes from any 1 user, and if that user goes over, then it will email the admin with details including who the user is, and the path to the script sending all the mail and stop them from sending any more

His currently working on a SMTP version as well

5. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    have it customizable

Perhaps have it so that you can set it up for each customer.

All new users would have a throttled account, and after they show they are legit, you can release the throttle.

Have two settings to set.... Number of emails, and the amount of time. that way, you can do an hourly quota, or a daily quota. Whichever you feel is right for your clients.

I think having a small time interval like 10 minutes, or even an hour, is not going to prevent the spammers though. They would simple write a script that sends an amount just under the maximum for that hour, and then repeat every hour.

A setting of 100 emails (to start), in 24 hours, would be much more of a detterent. It would be useless for the real spammers. It would also help protect the 'naive' spammers that buy into the scam of 'clean email addresses for $20'. ;)

6. alwaysweb

alwaysweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    [quote:7e544f3dcd][i:7e544f3dcd]Originally posted by AlaskanWolf[/i:7e544f3dcd]

my buddy made the exact script for us, it sorta &replaces& the path to sendmail, then gets sent to exim

His currently working on a SMTP version as well[/quote:7e544f3dcd]

Hi Gary, can we get a hold of this script, either as a public release or for purchase from you or your friend? If nothing else can you send your friend my info? We're interested. :D

7. hostbet

hostbet Well-Known Member

I'm interested to stop SPAM from other servers to my server offering HOSTING to my clients.

Any sugestions other than suit them... :)

8. bdraco

bdraco Guest

You can limit /usr/sbin/sendmail, then users will call /usr/sbin/exim directly. You can patch /usr/sbin/exim, then they will just send out spam by connecting to port 25 of the remote mail server and delivering it. Unless you plan on blocking port 25 you'll never be able to really stop spam short of approving every message the server is about to send out.

9. powerhouse

powerhouse Well-Known Member

So, Nick, are you saying it's hopeless?

Nick, from what I gather from your statement, unless we approve each email, it's practially impossible to stop spam on our servers?

I just setup a Free Email service, should I expect it to be abused? is there not a way to stop it?

How do mail.com/ hotmail/ and Yahoo do it?

I really hope it's not hopeless, I hate to have to deal with a problem like spam, when I'm trying to setup something useful.

Thank you.
    Richard.