“LetsEncrypt” AutoSSL provider

Doug Edmunds

Registered
Nov 18, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
A few days ago I started getting numerous identical (except for domain name) emails with this info. 15 a day, every day.
The From line all say from "cPanel on (primary domain name)" with subject line that AutoSSL certificate expiry on ____ UTC"

I called Hostmonster and they said this is spam. Is it?

sub.domain.com: The AutoSSL certificate expires on Nov 29, 2019 at 6:47:16 AM UTC. At the time of this notice, the certificate will expire in 10 days, 18 hours, 18 minutes, and 54 seconds.

AutoSSL did not renew the certificate for “sub.domain.com”. You must take action to keep this site secure.
The “LetsEncrypt” AutoSSL provider could not renew the SSL certificate without a reduction of coverage because of the following problems:
⛔ sub.domain.com (checked on Nov 18, 2019 at 12:28:16 PM UTC)

HTTP DCV: The system queried for a temporary file at “http://sub.domain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/hash”, but the web server responded with the following error: 404 (Not Found). A DNS (Domain Name System) or web server misconfiguration may exist. The domain “sub.domain.com” resolved to an IP address “[removed]” that does not exist on this server.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

Those emails are not spam. You are receiving them because your subdomain is not able to pass Let's Encrypt's Domain Control Validation process. The root domain and subdomain resolve to differing IP addresses - I'd suggest ensuring that the subdomain does, in fact, resolve to the IP address the check is being run on.

Doug Edmunds

Registered
Nov 18, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I contacted Hostmonster again with a copy of the above reply. This time they did not say they were spam, but instead said everything is okay and that the warning emails will stop eventually.

Nevertheless, this morning another batch of emails arrived again telling me the deadline is approaching. I've chatted with tech support 3 times now, and I have nothing else to add. I figure something is the matter with the system if it keeps sending me automated emails. I expect I will find out more after the Nov 29, 2019 at 6:47:15 AM UTC expiration.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I'm not sure I know how to assist you here. It sounds like, if you're unhappy with your hosting provider's responses you may need to find a new host. You should be able to manage your own DNS regardless of your provider and in this case, your domains are pointing to different IP addresses.