Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

lfd/csf logs - can i see what the (failed) password attempt was?

Discussion in 'Security' started by milcman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. milcman

milcman Registered

Hi,

Newbie to all of this. I just received a notification of lfd blocking an ip address.

I had actually done something dumb then realised my error so changed root password and a few hours later there was a failed (root) login attempt.

the email I received shows some information regarding the attempts.

Is there anywhere in the log that shows what the attempted password was?

I guess I want to know if the dumb thing i did provided someone with my password or whether it is just coincidental and is a random hacker,

thanks

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That I know of, the actual attempted password is not logged, either by LFD or by cPanel's own cPHulkd. However, CSF and LFD are third-party products that are not developed by cPanel, so I recommend also asking this in the ConfigServer forums: Way to the Web Technical Support.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. milcman

milcman Registered

ok thanks...i think it may be coincidence, as i have only just configured things correctly to receive notifications and that also coincided with my "woops". It may however be handy to know that information so i will see what i can find through the ConfigServer forums,

Thanks again