The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lfd/csf logs - can i see what the (failed) password attempt was?

Discussion in 'Security' started by milcman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. milcman

milcman Registered

Hi,

Newbie to all of this. I just received a notification of lfd blocking an ip address.

I had actually done something dumb then realised my error so changed root password and a few hours later there was a failed (root) login attempt.

the email I received shows some information regarding the attempts.

Is there anywhere in the log that shows what the attempted password was?

I guess I want to know if the dumb thing i did provided someone with my password or whether it is just coincidental and is a random hacker,

thanks

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That I know of, the actual attempted password is not logged, either by LFD or by cPanel's own cPHulkd. However, CSF and LFD are third-party products that are not developed by cPanel, so I recommend also asking this in the ConfigServer forums: Way to the Web Technical Support.

3. milcman

milcman Registered

ok thanks...i think it may be coincidence, as i have only just configured things correctly to receive notifications and that also coincided with my "woops". It may however be handy to know that information so i will see what i can find through the ConfigServer forums,

Thanks again