Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

libcrypto.so.10 not found

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benjamin D., Apr 25, 2018.

1. Benjamin D.

Benjamin D. Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, my server has not updated for over 1 month and everything is running perfectly fine. It's currently on v68.0.33. Last night, out of the blue, in one website, the error_log file TEMPORARILY filled for approx. 1 minute in a row with hundreds of lines like these:

Code:
    [25-Apr-2018 07:12:37 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/curl.so' - /opt/cpanel/ea-openssl/lib64/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1) in Unknown on line 0
    [25-Apr-2018 07:12:37 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/curl.so' - /opt/cpanel/ea-openssl/lib64/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1) in Unknown on line 0
    [25-Apr-2018 07:12:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/curl.so' - /opt/cpanel/ea-openssl/lib64/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1) in Unknown on line 0
    [25-Apr-2018 07:12:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/curl.so' - /opt/cpanel/ea-openssl/lib64/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1) in Unknown on line 0
    [25-Apr-2018 07:12:39 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/curl.so' - /opt/cpanel/ea-openssl/lib64/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1) in Unknown on line 0
    [25-Apr-2018 07:12:39 UTC] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/lib64/php/modules/curl.so' - /opt/cpanel/ea-openssl/lib64/libcrypto.so.10: version `libcrypto.so.10' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1) in Unknown on line 0
    ... ~500 more lines of this for 1 minute in a row and then everything went back to normal. As you can see the datetime on these errors is UTC which is NOT the case normally. Also, there is no PHP file mentioned, only that it seems to be an EasyApache module crapping out. After 1 minute of these errors, there was absolutely no more errors at all and it's been running fine all day long without a single error logged.

OS and DAILY UPDATES are set to: MANUAL ONLY. The only WHM automatic updates are SpamAssassin Rules and the ConfigServer Security & Firewall plugin.

...?... WTF happened?

EDIT: I've found 2 other websites which had the same error and the same approx. UTC datetime. So all websites that were visited on that minute generated this error, it seems, just that this website above is visited A LOT hence the 500+ lines of that same error.

#1 Benjamin D., Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Benjamin D.,

Internal case CPANEL-20005 is open to track reports of this issue. Our initial investigation shows this looks to have happened on systems where YUM transactions did not finish due to a lack of available memory or due to the oom-killer system process terminating the YUM transaction.

While this was only a temporary issue on your system, others experiencing error messages similar to the one you reported may need run the following commands to solve the issue:

Code:
    yum-complete-transaction
    /scripts/restartsrv_httpd
    I'll monitor this case and update this thread with the final outcome once it's closed.

Here's a quote from the cPanel version 68 Release Notes explaining the behavior you noticed:

Recently, a couple of internal cases were opened to ensure EA4 updates are not applied automatically in cases where the administrator prefers to disable automatic updates:

1. Internal case CPANEL-19635 will ensure automatic updates to EasyApache 4 are skipped when both Operating System Package Updates and Daily Updates are set to NEVER in "WHM >> Update Preferences".

2. Internal case CPANEL-19907 expands upon this and ensures automatic updates to EasyApache 4 are skipped when Daily Updates is set to MANUAL and Operating System Package Updates is set to MANUAL or NEVER except in cases where you manually update cPanel & WHM.

I'll update this thread once these cases are published.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Benjamin D.

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First, thank you for telling me there's an open case about this, it makes me feel much better knowing this is much probably just a cPanel issue that will be resolved in the near future. You will understand that I put every updater I can on MANUAL to actually avoid that kind of annoyance but I've been fooled into thinking my server was not updating when it really was... and it temporarily broke its stability too, which is not super impressive, given I had everything on MANUAL and I have it on STABLE RELEASE too!... this begins to feel like W10!

If it can help track the bug/annoyance down; About the available memory theory: that server has 64GB of RAM and at ABSOLUTELY NO TIME does it ever go higher (peek) than 20GB used (+ approx. 16GB of cache slab) so 36GB out of 64GB so it's not that. The hard disk has approx. 85GB free on /home, 4GB free on root and 3.6GB on /tmp (which fluctuates very little with the amount of active PHP sessions and file uploads, but never goes below maybe 2GB free) so it's not that either.

Thx

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Benjamin D.,

The conclusion of internal case CPANEL-20005 is that the issue was specific to servers where the YUM transaction was killed during the update process (either due to a lack of resources or an application that kills processes). Thus, it was not determined to be an issue with the cPanel & WHM update process itself. You can verify what exactly happened on your particular system by reviewing the corresponding cPanel update log in the following directory:

/var/cpanel/updatelogs/

Look for terms such as "KILL" or "OOM" near the sysup and rpmup section of the update log to see if you notice any particular output related to the killing of the YUM transaction. This should help you to determine why the update failed.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

I just wanted to follow up on this thread to note that one of the two cases involving the update preferences was published as part of cPanel & WHM version 70.0.29:

Fixed case CPANEL-19635: Make EA4 updates aware of UPDATES=never in /etc/cpupdate.conf.

Case CPANEL-19907 is planned for inclusion with cPanel & WHM version 72. You can see when it's published by following the change log at:

72 Change Log - Change Logs - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

6. Benjamin D.

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I ended up upgrading to 72.0 two weeks ago and all is well on that server.

cPanelMichael likes this.