Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

License and IP questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kenwhite23, Jan 30, 2018.

1. kenwhite23

kenwhite23 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Ok so I own a couple Dedicated Servers, I recently got into Web Hosting Via Reselling Shared Hosting. I have some dedicated servers i purchased a while back for some personal projects that i never ended up using. their decently spec'd hardware.

I currently have them hosted on a 1gbps backbone. They each have one static IP.

My first question is, Will i be able to host multiple sites using cpanel when the server only has 1 static ip?

My Second question is, Do i need one cpanel license per dedicated server, or will i have to purchase a license for each customer that buys webhosting from me so they can use Cpanel/whm?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Yes, it's acceptable (and common behavior) to host multiple accounts on a single IP address. No special configuration is required.

You'd need one cPanel license for each server. There's no per-domain or per-account limitation on the license.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kenwhite23

kenwhite23 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    What about NameServers? Im assuming Each Dedicated Server would need its own nameservers, How do i set them up if 2 static ip's are required so that my customers domains link properly to their website?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use the same IP address for both name servers, and it's acceptable for this to be the same IP address assigned to your accounts. We provide a guide on setting up the name servers at:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kenwhite23

kenwhite23 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you tested and confirmed that to be true? That seems to be contrary to the behavior I've seen in the past.

Thank you.

7. kenwhite23

kenwhite23 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I tried it Last night and it wouldnt accept ns2.example.com because it was the same ip as ns1.example.com I will give it another try here in a bit, and let you know.

8. kenwhite23

kenwhite23 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Update:, Its allowing 2 Name servers with the same ip now, i must have been doing something wrong last night

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm glad to see it's working. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!