The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

License Protection for skins

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by christopheraz, Aug 17, 2006.

1. christopheraz

christopheraz Member

Does anyone have any suggestions for protecting/licensing custom-created skins?

For example, what's the most common way to protect a custom cpanel theme via server IP?

Kind regards,
    Chris

2. Edizon

Edizon Well-Known Member

I am currently looking into that myself. The best way I know of is probably to encode it with zend or ioncube. This was you can place a licensing script inside without giving them the ability to hack the script so easily. You can either send a call to a script on another server, or perhaps have them paste the license file inside a php file.

I would like to know the most common way myself. Please let me know if you get any better info on it. I am sure other theme creators may have an idea :D

I will let ya know what I find out too.

3. christopheraz

christopheraz Member

good idea.

Ya, I think that's a good idea.... that's the way most skinners do it, I think.... I've seen a lot of them use rsync which makes for a pretty easy installation.

I also had an idea for making part of the cpanel interface in Flash -- and then embedding some actionscript into the flash which would check for the IP. Of course, this would require that a flash file be compiled for each customer/IP... probably a round-about way of licensing, but I've seen it done before with some other scripts.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it! Good luck with your development!

Chris

4. teddyb

teddyb Active Member

Zend is easily reverse engineered. Believe it or not. Read the zend forums sometime.