The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

limit emails per hour for user nobody?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by naox, May 23, 2005.

1. naox

naox Well-Known Member

Anyone have idea how limit a number of emails that user nobody can send per hour? Limiting a number of emails per hour for domains in WHM will not work for that.

Its very difficult to find answer on this forum for this question, because some smart person disabled searching for words nobody and email

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I just did a search for nobody email with no problems at all.

To answer your question, probably the best and most secure way to resolve the nobody issue is to enable phpsuexec and accept the limitations that imposes.

3. naox

naox Well-Known Member

Well I'm aware of phpsuexec, however:

1. that absolutly dont resolve issue of limiting emails per hour for user (nobody or other one). WHM only limits emails originating from single email adres, not a single user!

2. phpsuexec is quite too unsecure for me (strange isint it?) because users can use their own php ini, and so use any phpcommands, any execution time, registering any globals variables or reading those, and as far as I know zend's + mmchache isint compatibile with a phpsuexec php. of course apache_mod php is faaar from secure and perfect too

about the search problem:
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: nobody

searching for email seems good for now

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It limits email per domain, not address. AFAIK, there's nothing built into /etc/exim.pl by cPanel for limiting at the unix username level.

I disagree about pohpsuexec, I believe that the problems it brings are far outweighed by the security benefits of having it run under a a user account - that's down to your personal preferences - but it does provide a solution for the nobody user issue since the scripts will not be running under that username and will therefore be counted against the domain limit.

5. naox

naox Well-Known Member

Do you say that with phpsuexec enabled users sending mail with php from many diffrent adresses/domains (even non existent) will be limited. I think not.

thats bad dont you think? It it quite good idea to limit emails send by username (like send by php). It is possible to me to write something checning eximlog how many times per hour unix username is sending something, however I have no idea how to enforce restrictions if detected overflow. I dont know that MTA, exim stuff

mmcache and zend optimizers reduces cpu usage by 1/4 on my servers (from looks of it when I was first running it). So going into phpsuexec not only would make many ppl confused about chmoding, but would take away more than 1/4 of cpu (+ I heard that phpsuexec will be more cpu consuming). But of coruse ability to see whos php script is causing some cpu usage would be good. As for email tracing it is not difficult to trace emails send by php for realusername even when without phpsuexec.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying. Then to answer your question, there's nothing built into cPanel to provide that, you'd need to:

1. In the sort-term look into something like that yourself unless someone else chips in with an idea - the exim site would be the starting point.

2. Add a bugzilla enhancement request to bring the idea to the attention of cPanel.