Coopercentral

Registered
Mar 28, 2004
Hi:

I was co-hosted with a virtual hoster that had cPanel. I noticed one thing. In phpMyAdmin, if you're on the homepage of it, it shows a textbox that says to "Create a Database". The value filled in looks like:

username_

Then you fill in something like:

username_dbname

But if you press submit, it says error #1044, you can't create a database, but you CAN create a database from the MySQL Administration page on cPanel.

My question is, I'm trying to setup MySQL and phpMyAdmin on my personal site, and wanted to know, how did you do that? When you create users, how can they create databases on the MySQL administration, but NOT in phpMyAdmin? Also, how can I limit the databases the user sees? The only databases that I saw in phpMyAdmin looked like:

username_whatever

That's it. Could you please tell me where in MySQL/phpMyAdmin I have to change the code to do that? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!!!

Ken Cooper

Coopercentral

Registered
Mar 28, 2004
Just wondering if someone could help me out on this? I really need to know how to add users/databases like:

jdoe_forums
with user:
jdoe_forums

The only databases they see is the ones with jdoe_ prefix, and can create as many jdoe_ databases as they need. THanks for your help, hope you can help me!!!!!!

Ken Cooper

Coopercentral

Registered
Mar 28, 2004
I'm sorry for asking for the THIRD time, but I'm desperate that I find the answer. Could a creator of this explain how you limited the MySQL databases to each user? THanks!!

Ken Cooper

mickalo

Apr 16, 2002
N.W. Iowa
Originally posted by Coopercentral
I'm sorry for asking for the THIRD time, but I'm desperate that I find the answer. Could a creator of this explain how you limited the MySQL databases to each user? THanks!!

Ken Cooper
what we do, is create various hosting account packages through the WHM, which allows us to allote each account with X numbers POPs,MySQL databases, bandwidth,...etc.

this should be where each account on your machine is controlled. So if you want a specific account to have 1 Mysql database, then assign them to a package you create in the WHM, to allow only one database.

This is the way we do it :)

Hope it helps
Mickalo

Website Rob

Mar 23, 2002
Alberta, Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
My question is, I'm trying to setup MySQL and phpMyAdmin on my personal site,

The question is somewhat irrelevant as setup procedures are determined by Server software. MySQL administration, and phpMyAdmin work they way you describe because they are used with WHM/Cpanel.

WHM/Cpanel prefix mySQL db names & user names, with the accountID -- so it knows which db belongs to who.

i.e.
jdoe_

If ten accounts on the Server all had mySQL databases named 'forum', the only way WHM/Cpanel knows which 'forum' belongs to who is by the accountID prefix. Same with Username for the database.

If you have your own Server, without WHM/Cpanel, then things will work differently.

If you have an account on a Server using WHM/Cpanel then you cannot setup a seperate mySQL daemon (or service) within your account and phpMyAdmin can be setup but must be manually installed and configured.