The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit MySQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coopercentral, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Coopercentral

Coopercentral Registered

Hi:

I was co-hosted with a virtual hoster that had cPanel. I noticed one thing. In phpMyAdmin, if you're on the homepage of it, it shows a textbox that says to "Create a Database". The value filled in looks like:

username_

Then you fill in something like:

username_dbname

But if you press submit, it says error #1044, you can't create a database, but you CAN create a database from the MySQL Administration page on cPanel.

My question is, I'm trying to setup MySQL and phpMyAdmin on my personal site, and wanted to know, how did you do that? When you create users, how can they create databases on the MySQL administration, but NOT in phpMyAdmin? Also, how can I limit the databases the user sees? The only databases that I saw in phpMyAdmin looked like:

username_whatever

That's it. Could you please tell me where in MySQL/phpMyAdmin I have to change the code to do that? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!!!

Ken Cooper

2. Coopercentral

Coopercentral Registered

Just wondering if someone could help me out on this? I really need to know how to add users/databases like:

jdoe_forums
    with user:
    jdoe_forums

The only databases they see is the ones with jdoe_ prefix, and can create as many jdoe_ databases as they need. THanks for your help, hope you can help me!!!!!!

Ken Cooper

3. Coopercentral

Coopercentral Registered

I'm sorry for asking for the THIRD time, but I'm desperate that I find the answer. Could a creator of this explain how you limited the MySQL databases to each user? THanks!!

Ken Cooper

4. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

what we do, is create various hosting account packages through the WHM, which allows us to allote each account with X numbers POPs,MySQL databases, bandwidth,...etc.

this should be where each account on your machine is controlled. So if you want a specific account to have 1 Mysql database, then assign them to a package you create in the WHM, to allow only one database.

This is the way we do it :)

Hope it helps
    Mickalo

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My question is, I'm trying to setup MySQL and phpMyAdmin on my personal site,

The question is somewhat irrelevant as setup procedures are determined by Server software. MySQL administration, and phpMyAdmin work they way you describe because they are used with WHM/Cpanel.

WHM/Cpanel prefix mySQL db names & user names, with the accountID -- so it knows which db belongs to who.

i.e.
    jdoe_

If ten accounts on the Server all had mySQL databases named 'forum', the only way WHM/Cpanel knows which 'forum' belongs to who is by the accountID prefix. Same with Username for the database.

If you have your own Server, without WHM/Cpanel, then things will work differently.

If you have an account on a Server using WHM/Cpanel then you cannot setup a seperate mySQL daemon (or service) within your account and phpMyAdmin can be setup but must be manually installed and configured.