Limit outbound email Solo license

sampride

Jul 8, 2005
no, you can set the limit just for one email account. Is either a cpanel account or globally.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @jeffschips

This should work, I've tested in on a Solo server, is /etc/email_send_limits being updated with the addition you're making in /var/cpanel/users/$user?

jeffschips

Jun 5, 2016
new york
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ah! I see. I've found those files but don't know the correct syntax to limit just one email account. I do see the domain I wish to limit sending for. For example in the subject domain it currently shows:

thisdomain.com: unlimited,unlimited,5
thisdomain.topleveldomain.com: unlimited,unlimited,5

What would be the change here to limit the number of outound emails. As well, I do notice in the cpanel solo license repeating domain listings, such as above the actual domain then an entry with the actual domain and the add-on domain. What's up with that?

As for /var/cpanel/users/$user I see entries of domains and other settings and don't know what I'm supposed to input here.

Thank you for the revelation!

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
In /etc/email_send_limits it should be:
#format DOMAIN: MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR,MAX_DEFER_FAIL_PERCENTAGE,MIN_DEFER_FAIL_TO_TRIGGER_PROTECTION
Code:
domain.tld: 10,10,5
So that's
Domain: domain.tld:
MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR: 10
MAX_DEFER_FAIL_PERCENTAGE: 10
MIN_DEFER_FAIL_TO_TRIGGER_PROTECTION: 5

In my file it looks like the following:

Code:
[[email protected] ~]# cat /etc/email_send_limits
#version 1.0
#format DOMAIN: MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR,MAX_DEFER_FAIL_PERCENTAGE,MIN_DEFER_FAIL_TO_TRIGGER_PROTECTION
cptest.tld: 2,,5
*: 0,0,5
This should get automatically added to the email_send_limits but in the event it doesn't you should be able to add it now.

For /var/cpanel/users/$user you'd just need to add the following to set this per domain:

Code:
MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR-cptest.tld=2
2 being whatever you want the MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR to be

Then run:

Code:
/scripts/updateuserdomains