The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit Reseller Feature List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sh4ka, Sep 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello guys

I'm almost ready to buy a Website Builder that integrates easily with cPanel and WHMCS.

I want to create a new solution for my customers, something like 'Create your Website easily with our Website Builder'

What is the problem?

I need to limit this Website Builder Plugin icon from cPanel theme. I know I can do that with 'Edit Feature' option from WHM as root.

However, I found a problem: even if I limit the cPanel features from Home » Packages » Feature Manager » Feature Lists - The Reseller accounts inside that server can still create their own feature lists with that website builder plugin active.

My question:

How can I limit a cPanel plugin/feature (like this, or like Cloudflare plugin, or any other) to only be available for the feature lists created from root user?

Thanks,

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Thanks for your reply @Infopro

Site.pro is the script, the website builder will add the icon, not me.

I'm looking for a way to avoid WHM Resellers activating this cPanel plugin by creating their own cPanel Feature Lists.

Any ideas?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might want to speak with the script author about this. Are you sure it's not listed on the Features list in WebHost Manager? If it is listed, you'd want to create an ACL list and give your Reseller access to only that list with the plugin disabled, via:

WebHost Manager »Resellers »Edit Reseller Nameservers and Privileges

5. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It is listed (I never said it wasn't). And that is the problem, as it is listed in the Feature Lists, all Resellers can create new feature lists from their WHM and enable it for their packages, which is something I don't want.

Will try that.

Thanks

6. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Found a fix: writing a simple shell script to disable the features I don't want to show in cPanel accounts, even if the Reseller creates their own feature list, it's automatically deleted after 1 minute by altering the files from: /var/cpanel/features/reseller_listname

7. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The Feature List/Feature Manager really needs some work done to it.

I believe what sh4ka is saying, is they would like to be able to insure that only root can enable certain features (or perhaps expand this to "only certain resellers")

As it stands now, if you have a Site.pro feature your options include:

1) Adding it to the disabled feature list... then nobody can use it.
    or
    2) Unchecking it in the default feature list, meaning it has to be explicitly enabled for a feature list, but any reseller is then also able to create/edit their feature lists to enable Site.pro

There's no in-between.

Perhaps a solution would be to have options for what features a reseller can see in the Feature Manager.

In addition to this, it might also be beneficial have it available for "features" to be assigned on a per user basis. For example, I hate mailing lists. I don't have Mailman mailing lists enabled in my default feature list for any of my users. But everyone once and a while (once every blue moon) we may have someone that wants a mailing list. In order to assign them Mailman, and to do it properly, I have to copy the package they are currently to a new package, change the feature list for that package to a feature list that contains Mailman, and then upgrade/downgrade that account to this "new" package.

It would be a whole lot simpler if I could just assign the user the Mailman "feature" and not have to worry about feature lists and packages.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This is great feedback. I encourage you to submit a feature request with this feedback using the following link:

Submit A Feature Request

This will allow other users to vote and add comments to the request, and allows us to update you on the request's status.

Thank you.