The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit the amount of "nobody" emails sent per user?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cragdo, Apr 24, 2005.

1. cragdo

cragdo Member

Is there a way to limit the ammount of emails the user "nobody" sends. (When people use the function such as mail()) in php?

I had a couple spammers sign up and they sent over 20,000 spams using php. The emails didnt register as them sending them.

Is there any advise on this issue?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The simplest way would be to set WHM > Tweak Settings > The maximum each domain can send out per hour > and set it to a reasonable number (e.g. 250).

3. cragdo

cragdo Member

I did that but it didnt seem that it helped. I had it set to 250.

If it's set to 250, would this allow him to only send 250 through the user nobody?

Thanks

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It was my understanding that if that was set then the email for any domain, includi9ng the domain that the nobody user sent out on (i.e. the hostname) would be counted, yes. Do you have a valid emal address set for WHM > Change System Mail Preferences > nobody's email?

5. cragdo

cragdo Member

If i used the update apache feature in web hosting manager and enabled phpsuexec and then rebuilt apache, would this mail limiter work for each user account?

Is the The maximum each domain can send out per hour limit only for cpanels SMTP or will it count if its using the php mail() function?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, enabling phpsuexec would have that effect as the emails would then be sent from the user account and domain. The per domain limit, is per domain, not per account, and all outgoing email relaying is included.