The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limit User Access?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghv, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ghv

ghv Well-Known Member

It seems that cpanel has an "all or nothing" approach to the way users are created.
    A defaulit user/pass is created when an account is set up that has access to everything
    related to the account (cpanel interface, ftp, etc.) and there seems to be no way to create a user (via WHM or cpanel) with more limited access permissions.

For straightforward hosting that works great, but for those of us who design, manage, and host it would be great to be able to create a default user (like now) but also be able to add users with more limited access.

For example, it would be really nice to be able to provide customers with a basic cpanel interface (like email, stats, etc.) but no FTP access. The option to provide a basic cpanel interface is there already, but giving this to someone also gives them FTP access.

Of course, there are ways to do this outside of cpanel/whm but it would be nice if people
    (like resellers for example) with no shell access had this option.

I'm just wondering if others would like to see the functionality in cpanel and if so, if it
    is a feature they would consider adding.

#1 ghv, Sep 30, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

You can do this now with RvSkins ;)

3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    its allready included with WHM is called Feature manager turn on or off what you whish create as many feature lists as you want resellers have it as well

4. ghv

ghv Well-Known Member

"its allready included with WHM is called Feature manager"

>The option to provide a basic cpanel interface is there already

Yes, that option is there already as I already mentioned. The post is not about enabling/disabling features in cpanel. It is about creating users with limited access to services
    such as cpanel itself or ftp.

5. protactin

protactin Registered

Is there any chance this kind of feature might get added?

It really is strange (not to mention frustrating) to not have this kind of functionality..

6. perspectus

perspectus Registered

Limiting client access to mail and stats

I have read through many of the forums and have found nothing in regards to limiting access to both mail and stats. I cannot find Feature Manager on the WHM, although I did find this script for viewing stats without logging in. Has anybody used this? Has it worked and how do you recommend completing it?

cd /home/username/www
    ln -s ../tmp/webalizer stats
    chown username.username stats
    cd ../tmp
    chmod 755 ./
    chmod 755 ./webalizer
    ---------------- will allow domain.com/stats/ for viewing stats without logging in to cpanel

Thanks

7. Developdesign

Developdesign Registered

Wondering if this question was ever resolved. Four years later and I don't see this option in Cpanel.

As a web host with Reseller account to Cpanel, I want to be able to manage the Cpanel info, while allowing a small business / site owner with limited access to Cpanel to view stats or email only.