The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Limited connection speed settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnburk, Feb 26, 2011.

1. johnburk

johnburk Well-Known Member

Currently on one of the dedicated servers with a 1Gbit full-duplex uplink the maximum download seems to be around 25Mbit/s. I have tried this with FTP and HTTP and somehow this seems to be a software setting, but I cannot find out where.

Is there anything within cPanel/WHM that allows the setting of maximum connection bandwidth for each connection?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This isn't something controlled by cPanel. One thing I can tell you is that while your server may have a 1Gb port, that doesn't mean that you're automatically entitled to use 1Gb/s, especially if you're co-locating or you are running a server owned by a higher-level hosting provider. Most hosting providers are not going to let their customers use that much bandwidth on their network unless that is specifically what you're paying for - I'm surprised you're even able to do 25 Mb/s.

If you ARE the hosting provider, the first thing I would check is your switch to see if there is any port limiting enabled, and then the network card. Is it really capping out at 25Mb/s and not going a smidgen higher at all? When it gets this high, does your server lock up? There could be several causes of the bandwidth speeds being capped, but I can assure you that cPanel is not one of them.

3. johnburk

johnburk Well-Known Member

I did not know if it was a software setting (like the limit settings of pure-ftpd.conf) or something else. Thank you Venessa for your clear answer. It is a dedicated sever and I am going to look into that.