The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

limiting emails sent per hour

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nitaish, Mar 8, 2010.

1. nitaish

nitaish Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I have set a limit of 500 emails a domain can send in an hour. What I noticed is that a customer was sending 100 emails in an hour from his domain in an hour and each email had around 100 recipients. Does it mean 100 emails in an hour or 10,000 emails in an hour. If it is considered 10,000 emails per hour, then what is no immediate delivery: more than 10 messages received in one connection? If it is 100 emails per hour, I want to know why his emails were being rejected as he was getting a bounce stating the domain has already reached the limit (500 emails in an hour.) Secondly, there is another domain which is sending mass emails from the server. It already has around 3,000 + emails in the queue and the I have counted up to 750 emails sent by the domain in the last hour. All the emails are still in the queue. The log for the domain again says no immediate delivery: more than 10 messages received in one connection. I am very much confused with the rate limit stuff in WHM. Can anybody guide me?

2. Srv24x7

Srv24x7 Member

Its offcourse 10,000 emails per hour because the email is connecting and transmitting 100 receipents with one smtp connection. You need to check what is limit set for smtp_accept_queue_per_connection under /etc/exim.conf.

3. nitaish

PartnerNOC

There is no limit set and the default limit in exim is 10 per connection.

4. nitaish

PartnerNOC

Can anybody tell me how to find out how many emails a domain has sent in a specific interval so that I can prove to the customer that he is indeed sending more than the limit set in the server and hence the emails are bouncing?

5. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

You will have to check the email logs at /var/log/exim_mainlog and grep the logs for the particular email address using the below mentioned command:

cat exim_mainlog | grep user@domain.tld.

6. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Just to add to what thewebhosting just said, if you throw a '-c' flag in there, you can also get a total count of how many times that email address appears in your maillog file which could be sending or receiving but an unusually large number would be a good reason to look deeper there.

cat -- /var/log/exim_mainlog | grep -c user@domain.tld

7. Siteman

Siteman Member