The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

limiting root's whm menu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Incognito969, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Incognito969

Incognito969 Well-Known Member

Is there anyway to limit root's whm menu? I tried creating a new theme for root and then removing features from the command file, but all the features can still be accessed by manually typing in the url of the script.

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I am sorry that I do not have an answer for you, but I have to ask, what would be your motivation for doing this?

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

If you are trying to figure out a way to give someone limited WHM privileges, the easiest way is to use a reseller account where you have control over what features are available.

4. Incognito969

I am, I've assigned a reseller's account with "All Features" because I need this account to have "some" administrative abilities. I've given it a modified X skin with features removed but you can still access them manually entering the urls.

I am wondering if there are any other way to limit access in general to some of the scripts even for root.

5. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I was getting at what squirrel said. If you need to limit access to certain features then you should setup a reseller account. Limiting access is what reseller accounts are all about (and grouping sub accounts).

You cannot limit the access of the root user nor should you be able to. Having unlimited access is the entire point of root.

You should restrict access to your root user password. If you have given root access to someone and now wish to restrict it, then you should change the root password (something you should do from time to time anyhow).

6. Incognito969

I haven't given anyone root access to any server, I setup a reseller account with root access but it does not give ssh access.

Sometimes you need a restricted root, on all our non-cpanel servers we have acl's restricting root to almost nothing so that I can safely give root access to my support staff and not worry about LKM, backdoors, overall f**ckery of the server, in case one of them decides to quit.

Imagine this if one of your trusted support guys decides to go corrupt and has all the root passwords for your servers. If he goes in and does a rm -rf / your business is completely screwed. If you don't think this is possible then ignorance will lead to failure.