Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Limits and notifications for emails from 'nobody'

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by kdub, May 2, 2019.

1. kdub

kdub Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I currently have "prevent 'nobody' from sending mail" enabled. I enabled mod_evasive and have proper config to send emails. However, as mentioned in ModEvasive Sending Email Alerts mod_evasive being an apache module is run under the same user as apache which is 'nobody' so of course, emails from mod_evasive are being rejected.

Looking at the code, there is no obvious way to allow an exception for mod_evasive or somehow enable it to send email in some other way. If I disable "prevent 'nobody' from sending mail" as suggested, are emails sent by 'nobody' still bound to the mail limits set in WHM->Tweak Settings->Mail such as max hourly emails, notifications on max number of emails/day, monitoring number of unique recipients/hour, and the rest.

I'm using mod_suexec so it's unlikely scripts on any accounts will be sending as 'nobody' since suexec forces them to run as the account user. I realize with suexec the chances of 'nobody' abusing mail are slim. I just want to ensure if 'nobody' does get out of control there are limits and notifications in place. Thanks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @kdub,

Email limits are not enforced for emails sent from the "nobody" username by default. However, the following option is available under the Mail tab in WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager >> Basic Editor:

Trust X-PHP-Script headers to determine the sender of email sent from processes running as nobody

Per it's description:

If the MailHeaders patch is installed in EasyApache, cPanel will use the X-PHP-Script to determine the sender of a message for Email Archiving and Limits.

The MailHeaders PHP patch is installed by default as part of the core PHP installation in EasyApache 4. EX:

Code:
    # /opt/cpanel/ea-php70/root/usr/bin/php -i|grep mail.add_x_header
    mail.add_x_header => On => On

# /opt/cpanel/ea-php72/root/usr/bin/php -i|grep mail.add_x_header
    mail.add_x_header => On => On
    Let me know if this helps.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    kdub likes this.