The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Link Local User/Account to cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phylum, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Phylum

Phylum Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I created a local user on the machine but I now need to associate a domain with the user. Because there will be databases, email and possibly other domains down the line, I'd like to manage this through WHM/cPanel.

How can I go about linking a local user account to an account WHM/cPanel recognizes & can manage?
    Is there a way to convert a local user account to a WHM/cPanel account?

I want to do this because:
    1. There's already a large amount of data on the account that would likely be used on the upcoming website(s)
    2. It would be easier to manage one account versus two
    3. Pain in the tail to rename the existing account, create the new one, copy/move the data then remove the old

Not sure what the proper terminology is for this.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are no automated tools available that will convert an existing username on the system to a cPanel account. You will not be able to create a new account with the same username, as it already exists on the system. My advice would be to create a new account with a different username, move the content over to it, delete the username you would prefer to use, and then modify the account to the username you would prefer.

Thank you.