The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux OS - Swap partition placement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tseabaugh, May 6, 2005.

1. tseabaugh

tseabaugh Member

I have a disagreement between two of my techs. The one who set up our most recent cpanel server (today), put all cpanel recommended partitions on the primary drive, except for swap, which he put on a secondary drive. His thinking was that putting it on the backup drive would improve performance if swap were utilized much.

Tech 2 said, you can't do that. All cpanel recommended components must be on the primary drive. Anyone know for sure? I need to know whether I should have them reinstall or if this is OK.

Thanks!

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have any problems with swap on the 2nd drive. I run my home PC like that, too. May not be running cPanel, but shouldn't make any difference.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That said, if your server starts using swapfile space, you've more than likely got a performance problem and should be looking to add more memory to the server. Also, you're adding additional risk from disk failure. Should the data disk fail, you're OS may be quite upset in not having a swapfile. Considering the advantages are somewhat moot I would suggest placing it either on the OS disk or on a disk of its own. The idea of putting a swapfile (or pagefile) on a second disk really comes from Windows which uses much less sophisticated memory management.