The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of changed files?

Discussion in 'Security' started by townwebsites, Oct 5, 2012.

1. townwebsites

townwebsites Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does CPanel provide any list of files which it updates?

I'd like to be able to cross reference against md5sum lfd reports or better yet, replace that lfd check with a plugin which does something similar to lfd except for checking the change list and the signatures of new files which were installed legitimately. All I can find on the website is a functional description of changes.

Thanks,

Charlie

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our update system verifies the MD5sum of each file downloaded from the mirror. If you look in one of the version directories on Index of /cpanelsync/ you will find a .cpanelsync file (for example http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/cpanelsync/11.32.5.11/.cpanelsync). This file contains a list of all files and directories that comprise that particular build of cPanel & WHM. Included in the list are the MD5sums.

The .cpanelsync file will also be on your server in the /usr/local/cpanel directory.

3. townwebsites

townwebsites Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply.

Looking at .cpanelsync files it isn't obvious to me how I would create a validation script that could identify correct CPanel md5sums based just on file location in the tree (IE, how do I validate /etc, /bin etc). Is CPanel already providing this sort of checking of integrity of installations on each upgrade or at any other time?

Basicly I'd like to know how to check the integrity of a system by running a simple scan, or know that is already being done. With LFD I see reports of things that changed - presumably those are all intentional changes done by CPanel update scripts but how would I know that? I know you don't support LFD but do you provide any means of validating an installation's integrity?

Thanks again,

Charlie

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Each time cPanel & WHM updates, both existing and new files are validated against the MD5 sums in the .cpanelsync files. Any file that doesn't match the expected MD5 sum is updated.

Only files distributed as part of cPanel & WHM are validated. Files in /etc, executables in /bin and other things that are either provided by the operating system, or are expected to change, are not validated.

I believe LFD does something like `rpm -vV`, which performs a health check against every RPM installed on the system. Since I have no experience with LFD I cannot give you conclusive information on its operation. I suggest you contact the vendor for more information.

cPanel & WHM 11.36 will come with some improved tools for validating an installation. Again, though, they will be specific to files and binaries distributed as part of cPanel & WHM.