The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List of domains / providers that have problems when using callouts

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by myusername, Sep 16, 2007.

1. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I am starting a thread for those of us that would like to use the option in the Exim config editor called:

"Use callouts to verify the existence of email senders"

Those of us that are using it are enjoying a heck of a lot less spam these days. However, like with many good things, there are problems. Several large domains / service providers do not seem to work with this setting...

This thread is an attempt to harvest those problem domains / providers so that something can be done about it.
    It is also an attempt to demonstrate the need for an easy to use Exim sender whitelist. See below for more details on that.

# Providers with known issues using sender verification callouts #

Authorize.net - emailreceipts@authorize.net
    Reason: Could not complete sender verify callout. No more "Merchant Email Receipt" type emails will be recieved if you enable sender verification callouts.

COMODO SSL - TBD
    Reason: TBD

American Express - randomAddress@americanexpress.com
    Reason: Because they appear to generate sender email addresses on the fly. Similar to 9jaf9966b44ay2exfz0c@b.email.americanexpress.com and do not have a catch-all setup to receive responses? This might not necessarily be the reason though because they are well aware of when these messages bounce back to American Express as their account manager complains to the card holder that their email is not making it through.

Verizon Wireless - wAccountNotify@verizonwireless.com
    Reason: - TBD

============ END LIST ===================

CONTRIBUTE!
    Please contribute to this list if you come across other larger (or even small for that matter) service providers that have similar issues and I will update this post as they come in.​

Please use this format when possible:

Provider Name - senders.email@provder.com
    Reason: (reason here)

===============================
    WHITELIST INFORMATION:
    This problem is a bit larger than I think was originally anticipated, and a whilelist facility is needed for exim.conf, preferably in a flat file so it can be replicated easily to other servers so each exim.conf does not need to be updated manually via WHM.

If you think the same thing as me, and are enjoying 50%+ less spam in your inboxes using this setting, but need a way to easily whitelist certain domains across many servers, here is a bugzilla asking for the whitelist feature.

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5524

#1 myusername, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  2. mrcbrown

mrcbrown Well-Known Member

Credit Card Gateway/Processors in General

I have had issues from Customers upset their emails they usually get on a sale are failing, and this is fairly new (started on th 10th late evening after a update 16983R) - so I am not entirely sure, plus like others have said elsewhere in threads, things like forums etc. tend to fail as well - it's not a perfect world, but if nothing else maybe cPanel or someone else can make a working Exim WhiteList Add-on to manage things, I am happy to help in some fashion/form, not much of a exim guru, but happy to contribute to the whitelist/testing/etc.

3. jerrybell

jerrybell Well-Known Member

I think this would work:
    domainlist ignore_callout_domains = lsearch;/etc/ignore_callout_domains
    deny sender_domains = !ignore_callout_domains
    !verify = sender/callout=15s,defer_ok

Then, replicate /etc/ignore_callout_domains.
    Seems like a good list to publish, except that it give spammers a central place to find domains to forge their spam from.

4. mrcbrown

mrcbrown Well-Known Member

Yeah there are similar whitelist todo's out there, the core bit is trying to make it easier to manage across the board within cPanel - and I think the primary reasoning for this list is to try and encourage cPanel and others to take it seriously, not to build a massive file for spammers to have a field day with. :)

5. myusername

myusername Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    In addition to a global whitelist it would be nice if the Spam Assassin Whitelist was moved up in the ACL order to run before the sender verification callout but I suppose this would introduce some load issues depending on how craftily it was deployed.

Added: Verizon Wireless to the list.

#5 myusername, Sep 19, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007