The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

listed in SORBS DNSBL- why? dns setting?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dougvaughan, Jul 6, 2007.

1. dougvaughan

dougvaughan Member

Nov 26, 2004
    greetings all,
    i have a small cpanel server with around 50 sites hosted. i'm on a fractional T1 and the box is located at my business. on the router, only port 80 is open. there is no email service on this box, no ssh, no ftp, no ssl. this is by choice, and it's working well for me (3 years+ using cpanel/whm).
    recently, i noticed my i.p. is listed in the SORBS database under DNSBL. here is the entry when you look up my i.p. :

Netblock: (
    Record Created: Mon May 8 03:56:18 2006 GMT
    Record Updated: Mon May 8 03:56:18 2006 GMT
    Additional Information: [MU] Dynamic/Generic IP/rDNS address, use your ISPs mail server or get rDNS set to indicate static assignment.
    Currently active and flagged to be published in DNS
    If you wish to request a delisting please do so through the Support System.

of course i went though their support system to find out why i'm listed, but only a bot answered my request. my question: is this something related to my dns settings in cpanel?
    when you view the BL history, it produces this:
    2007-07-06 DNSBL.SORBS.NET 127.0.0.* DUL
    does the 127.0.0.* mean i've set something up wrong with my server? thanks very much for you time in looking at this post.
  2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2004
    inside a catfish
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can't say for sure since you didn't give you rIP address.

If it's complaining about dynamic/generic IP address, then you probably have reverse DNS entries that your provider put in place for you that look like dynamic dialup/broadband IP addresses or something really generic.

to make them happy, you'll have to contact whomever controls your IP netblock and have them add appropriate rDNS entries that in some way specifically reference your company so that it doesn't look some old generic netblock that could be used by dialup/broadband customers. I think the message is pretty explanatory.