The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Listed in Spamcop and blocked by hotmal and others

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by toleroalgorila, Oct 26, 2008.

1. toleroalgorila

The server has been listed by Spamcop because of a Trojan that is probably sending email via a computer that has nothing to do with my server. I have 90 domains and around 1000 users, spread over dozens of cities. I have no way to monitor their computers with Adaware or similar programs.

This is a brand new server used for shared hosting, which was previously on a different server and IP.

My guess is that there was something configured in the old server that PREVENTED this to happen.

The new server is not an open relay, I have tested it.

As you can imagine, this is a serious problem, because the new IP has been under production for one week only, and it has been listed three times with Spamcop.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

2. koolos.com

koolos.com Registered

Ok, my first advise is to get an account at DNS stuff : dnsstuff.com

And run a diagnostic on your server IP adress

1- Your first step will be to make all the necessary corrections for every errors they will report abour your DNS settings.

2- Pay special attention to your SPF records.

3- They have a Spam Database Lookup tool, use it with the IP of your smtp server and see if you are listed.

4- Then, for Microsoft hotmail/msn/live/sympatico, etc, have a look at this page : http://postmaster.hotmail.com

You will find some very important information there.

About two month ago, I noticed that I was bloked by MSN, no message from my server was received by any MSN/hotmail/etc... account (email confirmation sent by online shop, forums, surveys, mailing list, etc...).

My first step, was to fill the form for the microsoft junk-mail reporting program : http://postmaster.hotmail.com/Services.aspx#JMRPP.

After that, I was in contact with the MSN staff and I was able to explain my problem. So I filled all the condition they asked me to take part in their program and then they sent a request to the technical office to "unblock" my IP adress.

Mainly, you will have to meet these condition :

1- A valid SPF record
    2- A valid reverse DNS
    3- Accept emails at : abuse(at)yourserver.dot
    4- Publish a confidentiality policy somewhere on your website
    5- Meet the US CAN-SPAM law condition
    6- Your ISP, the company who gives you your IP adress will have to send a confirmation message that you are the unique user and owner of your IP adress

Hope this can help... It took me about 3 weeks to be "clean" for MSN...

Good luck

S.

#2 koolos.com, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  3. nxweb

nxweb Active Member

So if this is brand new, perhaps your provider supplied you with bad IPs? I've had that happen a few times, and made my providers give me new IPs.