MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

LiteSpeed offers many plans, and i don't know how many "workers" we will need: LiteSpeed Web Server Pricing - LiteSpeed Technologies

Official worker's description:

The number of workers in the license description indicates how many LiteSpeed processes will be spawned - the number of processes that do general server work. Examples of the work done include: routing requests, SSL decryption/encryption, caching, rewriting, serving static contents, etc.
We have 250-300 cPanel users with wordpress, how many workers you recommend me?.

LiteSpeed is more fast than Apache and Nginx?.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
First question is how may CPU cores do you have have? You don't want more workers that cores and you don't want to "use" all your cores, because you still need cores for PHP and MySQL.

Is it faster than Apache and Nginx, you can look at benchmarks etc. and decide. Is it a while lot easier /quicker to install and tweak (which you prob. won't have to do) yes. From our experience the combination of LSWS and the LSWS Cache for WP makes customers happy.

Reactions: MindServer

MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
First question is how may CPU cores do you have have? You don't want more workers that cores and you don't want to "use" all your cores, because you still need cores for PHP and MySQL.

Is it faster than Apache and Nginx, you can look at benchmarks etc. and decide. Is it a while lot easier /quicker to install and tweak (which you prob. won't have to do) yes. From our experience the combination of LSWS and the LSWS Cache for WP makes customers happy.
Hi,

Thank you very much.

We will buy new server and we are checking this processors:

Intel 2x Xeon E5-2630v3 - 16c/32t - 2.4 GHz/3.2 GHz
Intel Xeon-D 2141I - 8c/16t - 2.2 GHz/3 GHz
Intel Xeon-E 2288G - 8c/16t - 3.7 GHz/5 GHz
Intel Xeon E5-1650v4 - 6c/ 12t - 3.6 GHz/ 4 GHz

We will host 300 cPanel accounts with normal wordpress. Can you recommend me best processor for this requeriments and number of workers in litespeed?.

If you know best OVH server for 300 cPanel accounts link me please.

Thank you again.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
For 300 accounts, I'd just start out with the 2 worker license (as I believe that will give you the WordPress cache option). If your not happy with that then go to the 4 or larger. The number of sites is not really a good indicator vs. the traffic / complexity of the site.

MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
For 300 accounts, I'd just start out with the 2 worker license (as I believe that will give you the WordPress cache option). If your not happy with that then go to the 4 or larger. The number of sites is not really a good indicator vs. the traffic / complexity of the site.
Thank you very much for all info.

vacancy

Sep 20, 2012
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You should consider the instant php query instead of the number of sites.

If all 300 websites are not running intensive php queries, 1 worker license is sufficient. If websites have very intense php queries, you can choose 2 workers for 12 cores, 4 workers for 16 cores and above.

The worker determines how many cores the main litespeed processes will run on, the main processes execute the lsapi processes and bifurcation processes, so the choice should be made based on the instantaneous processing density on the server and how many core processors the server has.

MindServer

Mar 18, 2020
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You should consider the instant php query instead of the number of sites.

If all 300 websites are not running intensive php queries, 1 worker license is sufficient. If websites have very intense php queries, you can choose 2 workers for 12 cores, 4 workers for 16 cores and above.

The worker determines how many cores the main litespeed processes will run on, the main processes execute the lsapi processes and bifurcation processes, so the choice should be made based on the instantaneous processing density on the server and how many core processors the server has.
Oh, I did not know that.

I think i will buy 1 worker and test speed, if need more will change to next plan.

Thank you very much.

exoexo

Registered
Aug 22, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have same problem deciding about amount of workers.

Server CPU - AMD EPYC 48 cores (2 logical cores per physical - 96 total). Most of website pages are cached as pure HTML/CSS and no PHP/database involved, until member login (but that is less than 1% of visitors).
Daily visitors increase expected in time period 8am-8pm (12 hours): 1 - 2.5 million

Was adviced about 2 workers plan, but I think that is too less workers. I may be wrong. How many is best estimate based on our server and expected traffic increase (as stated above).

vacancy

Sep 20, 2012
Turkey
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have same problem deciding about amount of workers.

Server CPU - AMD EPYC 48 cores (2 logical cores per physical - 96 total). Most of website pages are cached as pure HTML/CSS and no PHP/database involved, until member login (but that is less than 1% of visitors).
Daily visitors increase expected in time period 8am-8pm (12 hours): 1 - 2.5 million

Was adviced about 2 workers plan, but I think that is too less workers. I may be wrong. How many is best estimate based on our server and expected traffic increase (as stated above).
If there are websites with html content without database, 1 worker will suffice.

If 1 worker is not enough, there is always a chance to upgrade to 2 workers. It also has a trial license 2 worker feature, you can test it for 14 days.

How do I know if it's enough? There is a litespeed document for this.

A top command will reveal important information about how different processes are using server resources. (LSWS's process is called lshttpd.) A couple of these outputs are useful for determining if the current LSWS installation could benefit from access to more cores:

• %CPU - Generally LSWS's CPU usage is low. If LSWS's CPU usage starts climbing, and especially if it climbs while the overall load is low, it can indicate that LSWS is hitting a bottleneck and would benefit from access to more cores.
  • %wa - High I/O wait can also be an indicator that LSWS needs more worker processes (and thus access to more cores).

If the %CPU or %wa values are very high, it is best to upgrade to the next license tier. Keep in mind that we allow upgrading/downgrading leased licenses at any time with no downtime.