The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Load Balancers & Sending Mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by EchoHost, Jul 15, 2007.

1. EchoHost

EchoHost Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Ok so this is the problem. My site uses two httpd servers and 1 mail/mysql server. The mx record and mail point to the mail server. The other two servers in the load balancer are not included or mentioned in the DNS records of the site and when they send mail via PHP (for example when somebody signs up) it's almost instantly disregarded as spam because the IP is not authorized to send on behalf of the site.

Now based on what I've read, I have two options.

1) Set up "A" records and MX records for other servers. I would also have to change the reverse DNS for that server to match the "A" records.
    2) Config exim to send via the mail server and not add them to the DNS records so then technically just one server sends and receives mail and that's the one listed as the MX server and identified as

I would prefer #2 since that way I don't give away the IP of the servers in the load balancer (security reasons) and hopefully makes things simpler since just one server sends and receives mail.

Am I on the right track? Is exim easy to config to send mail through another server?

I appreciate any insight you can provide into this as this is an ongoing problem and has been a burden for a while now.