The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Load balancing CPanel account and cloud server

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by Chris Rose, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Chris Rose

Chris Rose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good evening,

I'm new to the forum and wondered if someone had any experience or knowledge of a potential idea that I have.

At present, I have a server with WHM installed hosting multiple accounts/websites. One of the sites has become very popular and I do not want to risk it being unavailable. I had the idea of setting up 2 micro servers (in the cloud) 1 x HA proxy and 1 x additional app server that can be used as a backup.

The load balancer would always send visitors to the main site (hosted through WHM/cPanel) but if the server was to become unresponsive or unavailable for some reason, it would automatically send visitors to the backup until the main server is available again.

Accounts are sharing IP's so it's http://11.22.33.44/~account/

And the cloud server would be http://22.33.44.55/

I had a quick play with HA proxy on a local cents server and tried to set it up to direct users to the CPanel account ip above but it seems to just send me to a domain/account error page.

Has anybody got an experience or advise as to how this could be done, or even if it is even possible.. (Please say it is!!!)

Thanks,

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel currently supports clustering for DNS purposes only. There is support to host your databases on a remote MySQL server, however beyond that, there are no native options that allow for mirroring of your websites or automatic replacement of a network/IP address if the event another fails. I recommend searching our forums for "mirroring" and "high availability" for custom solutions that other users may have implemented. There are lots of discussions about the best ways to do this. EX:

Load Balancing
    cPanel Load Balanced Servers

Also, feel free to add your input to the following active feature requests:

Active Redundancy or High Availability
    Build in Load Balancing

Thank you.

3. Chris Rose

Chris Rose Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply, sorry if I have got my wires crossed but I'm not trying to cluster 2 CPanel servers. I just want a way that I can tell a load balancer to point to an individual CPanel account website. The database, load balancer and second app server would be on pure centos servers with no WHM/CPanel installed.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are no native features that allow for that type of configuration. The threads referenced in my previous response include some some user-submitted solutions that might help you get started.

Thank you.