The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Load High - Caused by MySQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coderoyal, Jan 7, 2009.

1. coderoyal

coderoyal Well-Known Member

Hi,

Our server is often dealing with a high load and after several days we've determined that the problem was caused by mysql.

I turned off the mysql service and saw the load quickly drop.

Basically, the behavior is sporatic. Normally the server will run fine with a load average below 1. Then, all of a sudden, there's a lot of HDD activity on the Raid, and the server becomes unresponsive.

If we are able to get into console, we see the load can be up to 20. (SSH usually times out, and so can web logins to the WHM).

I've ran the mysqladmin proc command, but with so many websites, I couldn't and don't know what to look for at the results of this command.

What could cause such a high load with MYSQL on a cPanel server? What can we do to trace the user account responsible for such as load?

Thanks!
    Alan
    Hermon School Department

2. big_bull

big_bull Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    check which database caused high server load just by

mysqladmin pr

and suspend it in /var/lib/mysql

by chmod 000 database name

3. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

4. nichiyume

nichiyume Member

I would run the mysqlreport script to get an understanding of what is being used or not used in your my.cnf. A default or poorly constructed mysql configuration would end up using much more cpu than a fine tuned one:

http://hackmysql.com/mysqlreport

Although I wouldn't trust every recommendation this script has, but I've used it to explore more:

http://genomewiki.ucsc.edu/index.php/Tuning-primer.sh

Also in myphpadmin, there is a "Show MySQL runtime information" on its first page that will give recommendations.

You can also switch to innodb tables and crank up the cache for innodb so they stay in memory on busy tables.

Hope that helps.