The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XLR8, Feb 26, 2007.

1. XLR8

XLR8 Registered

Can someone tell me what they do to see who is causing the load on a server? I normally use the top in ssh (or ps aux) but that really doesn't give me the best info on who exactly is causing the load. Basically I am looking for top-notch load monitoring software (free or otherwise) that can tell me who the heck is causing the server to go to a crawl. And if it can sms my phone when the load gets to a certain point then the more the merrier.

The problem I see with most load related issues is due to spamd and exim (mailing lists, spam in general, etc) and I have never been able to track down exactly who is the one doing it for this simple reason: the load gets so high that you can't ssh into the server. When and if it drops back down to normal then what? Are there any logs that say who was causing the high loads?

I also thought about getting a dedicated mail server for this as well.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks

2. picoleto

picoleto Member

You can always take a look in WHM in CPU/Memory/Mysql and it will normally show highest to lowest cpu/memory users/processes. I find that using top is a pretty good determination on what is going on with a server, loadwise.

top -d .3

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

I agree with top also. top -c and you will see the processes live. If you see the user mailman taking up much of the resources then simply monitor your logs for the user abusing it. Also if you suspect spam or mail causing your load issues, you may be experiencing backlash from the mail bounces and so on.

good luck

4. nilesh_kolte

nilesh_kolte Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

If multiple exim connections are the problem then to find the spammer, do the following :
    = vi /etc/exim.conf

Add the following under : hostlist auth_relay_hosts = *

log_selector = +address_rewrite +all_parents +arguments +connection_reject +delay_delivery +delivery_size +dnslist_defer +incoming_interface +incoming_port +lost_incoming_connection +queue_run +received_sender +received_recipients +retry_defer +sender_on_delivery +size_reject +skip_delivery +smtp_confirmation +smtp_connection +smtp_protocol_error +smtp_syntax_error +subject +tls_cipher +tls_peerdn

Then tail the file using :
    = tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog |grep /home/

This will show you the path from where spamming is going on.

Good Luck

5. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hey

use top and the sort by CPU time and then memeory

also try vmstat 3

That will show you thinks like swap usage and blocks in and out of the disk.

The first column tells you the number of processes are trying to run - anything above the number of cpus is BAD

Cheers
    andy

6. big_bull

big_bull Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator